Home AOMEI Products Support

VM from ADI file

Hi,

I am struggling with creating a VM from .adi file. Here are the steps that I followed and not sure if I am missing something:

1. Create an image .adi of my WIN11 laptop with "System Backup" feature of aomei.
2. Create a bootable .iso of aomei setup and copied my .adi in that .iso container with PowerISO.
3. Create a WIN11 VM using vmware v17 with option of "Install OS later".
4. Made VM to boot from aomei and restore .adi to virtual disk.
5. After 100% restoration VM failed to boot up :-(.
6. Also tried feature of "Universal Restore" but no success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RH
Tagged:

Comments

• @Alien26790, Please try to boot from WinPE, and wipe all partitions on the disk, then do the restore again. If it still can't boot, please take a screenshot of disk list under WinPE so that we check the status of the restored disk. And, please also take a screenshot of the boot error.
  • edited December 2023
    "Made VM to boot from aomei and restore .adi"
    VMWare is not compatible with .ADI that I am aware of. VMWare does not boot Aomei image files, and Aomei does not create VHD(X) files.
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

• @admin
    @aiArtisan

In attached .pdf I have attached the snapshots of the process I followed. I am unable to boot from WinPE to wipe and restore again after initial restoration process, seems like VM integrity is compromised after restoring.
  • "I am unable to boot from WinPE"
    Did you follow the link?
  • Hi,

Apprecaite your support, issue is resolved. It was related to drivers. Both approaches listed below worked for me.

1. Created WinPE.iso from actual physical machine and manually added all the drivers and then boot VM from that WinPE to restore *.adi
    2. Use universal restore option of WinPE.iso, new feature for me, really handy and worked with WinPE without any drivers.

Thanks,
    RH