Home AOMEI Products Support

Install gives unusable AOMEI backupper on Win10

When I try to run the installed product, I get three messages from Windows, all "A digitally signed driver is requered". Tjhis occurs for

amwrtdrv.sys

ammntdrv.sys

ambakdrv.sys

Nothing then works in AOMEI!

It's always beden fine with Win7! And this we bit says it's compatible with Win10.

Help please!

Pete

Comments

• edited November 2016

Did you use the free 3.5 version? I have no problems with Backupper Free in Win10. I remember that in the past there was a message about the signatures but that could be ignored.

• edited November 2016

Backupper 3.5 is not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary Update if you're installing on a system that is a clean install of said Windows version (doesn't apply to upgrading from an ealier version).

It won't work until AOMEI gets their kernel mode drivers (the files you've mentioned) signed by Microsoft.

See this thread.

• edited November 2016

I noticed that the downloaded file BackupperFull (vs 3.5.0.0).exe has changed since the first appearance although the version number or build number is still the same 3.5.0.0.

The first I downloaded (july 2016) was 80.846 kB and the recent download shows 80.883 kB. The first having one digital signature (sha1) and the second two (sha1,sha256)..

Maybe this is the reason why I can't evoke the problems with Win10 AU en Backupper 3.5. I used the latest download.

@PeteDowson, can you find out which file version you used?

• edited November 2016

Nope. I've already tried that new setup file. They've updated the Symantec certificates, but no code signing by Microsoft. They obviously didn't understand the problem at first.

It's like I've described above - but I've forgotten to mention one more thing. This is only true for UEFI systems with "Secure Boot" enabled.

The root cause are additional security measures that Microsoft introduced with Windows 10 AU (version 1607). In order not to cause to much stir, Microsoft did not retroactively enable these on systems that had been installed prior to the publishing of v1607 (for now!). So it's only true for new installations of Windows 10 version 1607 (and higher) on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled (and manufactures only get a "Windows 10 certified" label from Microsoft if they enable Secure Boot per default).

So if it's working for you, I guess at least one of these conditions is not true in your case: a) NEW (in the sense of "clean", not upgraded) installation of Windows 10 v1607, b) your mainboard is UEFI-based, and c) Secure Boot is enabled.

• Thanks for the clarification. I tested on BIOS systems. I do own a UEFI based laptop, but not a spare drive for that to test with. I don't want to mess with this laptop.

• I can't understand that this problem still hasn't been resolved after 4 months since Windows 10 AU was distributed... Simply incredible.

• I wonder if the company still exists.......... We haven't heard from Aomei's Admin on this forum for more than a month.

• Very quiet here indeed, but the AOMEI website http://www.aomeitech.com looks all new and redesigned, so perhaps all efforts went into that...

• Sorry all of you.Trust us, we are trying to solve the EV certification problem. As you know the EV certification apply takes long time, but please do not worry. We get the Ev certifiaction now, but the check of the Microsoftware company is on the way. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

• edited December 2016

In the mean time you could alter backupper 3.5 so that is gives a big big warning on Windows 10 systems with UEFI/GPT, that user must not install or uninstall before reboot when the system is a clean install of Win10 version 1607 and secure boot is On. The simple message of Windows itself is not enough, it is easily overlooked. The consequences of ignoring these messages is gigantic: a complete system loss. Far worse than ransomware.