Home AOMEI Products Support

External USB changes drive letter

I back up my PC to an external USB drive, and this normally works flawlessly. However, I see the backup job configurations use a hard-coded drive letter. This is usually OK, but there are times when the drive letter assigned to my USB drive has changed (usually E:, but it has come up as F: or G: on occasion). In that case, I notice that none of my backup jobs will work, as they are hard-coded to use the drive the device is normally mapped to.

In the end, I logged in as administrator, opened disk management, and manually re-mapped my USB drive back to E:, at which point all my backups became usable again.

Prior to forcibly remapping the drive letter I exported the backup configurations to an XML file in hopes that I could change the drive manually, then re-import the XML. The ambackup.xml file doesn't appear to be in UTF-8 format, or any other format readily recognized by my text editor (Notepad++).

A couple of questions, then:

Is there a way I can hand-edit the ambackup.xml file to change backup job drive mappings?

Is there a way to easily edit backup job settings to change the backup letter without losing any of my backup history?

Comments

• If you give the external drive a letter closer to the end of the alphabet, won't it tend to keep that name when plugged in?

• edited February 2016

1)The file c:\programdata\aomeiBR\tasks2.2.xml is probably more accessible to changes.

(requires admin rights to edit, this means copy it to desktop, edit there, and copy back).

2) there is an Import Image command (right nearly where import/export config is), which allows importing an image to Backupper, that hopefully makes use the imported drive letter.

I have done edits on path 1), and less on a similar path 2a) that is beginning Restore and browsing the path, and then cancel.

3) there is a third possibility, using a mount point, however mount points are only for exactly that disk (windows disk management->assign drive letter->mount as a folder.. or similar I'm nonenglish). This makes it independent on the drive letter, as the path is then always c:\somefolder with permanent drive letter

• "Is there a way I can hand-edit the ambackup.xml file to change backup job drive mappings?"

You can open it and edit it with the text format.

"Is there a way to easily edit backup job settings to change the backup letter without losing any of my backup history?"

No, our software cannot support to change the drive letter of your USB. Two ways for you:

1,Change the target path manually.

2,Fix the drive letter of USB by Windows.

• edited February 2016

@Admin

"You can open it and edit it with the text format."

What language is that file? Chinese?  To me (us) it is unreadable.

• Actaully, that file include the code which is English. We advice you do not edit in case the software crashed. The only is that you give the USB fixed drive letter.

Or you can change the path manully.

• edited February 2016

ambackup.xml of Backuppper 3.2 is not editable, it has binary content instead of xml. However, c:\programdata\aomeiBR\tasks2.2.xml has xml content and is editable (needs to be copied to desktop for editing because of file permissions).