Home AOMEI Products Support

full backup or incremental

After installing AOMEI I made a system backup successfully. Since then I have installed a new program and transferred a large amount of photos to a external drive. Should I make a incremental back up which I understand would add the new program to the original backup, but the photos would still remain in the backup taking up disc space. Should I delete the original system backup and do a new backup.

Comments

• Hi Brainstrain, if you wanna safe disk space you should create a new full backup.

Pit
  • Thanks Pit I thought that would be the best way. I make very few changes in my use of the computer so I assume that unless there are files or software programs I want to delete I can just make incremental backups. I save most of what I want to keep to my external drive and keep my laptop as clean as I can. My main concern is a complete crash of my system so I'm going to look into using the disc recovery. I think that would serve me better if I'm reading what it capable of doing.
  • Thanks Pit I thought that would be the best way. I make very few changes in my use of the computer so I assume that unless there are files or software programs I want to delete I can just make incremental backups. I save most of what I want to keep to my external drive and keep my laptop as clean as I can. My main concern is a complete crash of my system so I'm going to look into using the disc recovery. I think that would serve me better if I'm reading what it capable of doing.
  • Whoops sorry about the double entry
  • Don't forget to create your rescue media for the worst case and check whether you can access your harddrive when booting from it.

Pit
  • By Rescue Media do you mean the Bootable disc I made? I checked if I had to option to startup from the CD/DVR drive and my computer does give that option if that's what you mean by accessing my hard drive when booting up with the bootable disc.
  • No, boot from your CD, click "Clone", choose Disk or Partition Clone and check, whether your drive and it's partitions are shown correctly. It's not a funny situation when your Windows doesn't boot anymore and then you have to notice, that you can't restore your backup because the appropriate driver for your storage controller is missing in your rescue disk :-)

Pit
  • Pit please bear with me. What exactly is the recue media? If it is a disc then I assume I have to enable my computer to start up in the CD/DVR mode. I apologize for my ignorance.
  • Ok, I forgive you :-)

Yes, it's the bootable media you created.

Pit
  • OK I think I'm on the right track. I created a disc backup to my external drive and keeping my system backup on my c: drive. The one thing I don't understand is if my whole system crashes wouldn't that include the AOMEI backup on the C: drive?
  • Storing backups onto the drive you backed up is not a good idea. Move your system backup to your external drive too.

Pit
  • That sounds logical. I'm going to buy a 500 GB external drive next week which is more then I'll ever use. I'll even be able to move some of my programs to it to give me more room on my laptop. Once the disc back up is installed on the external drive I assume then to restore I set up my computer to make boot up from the CD/DVR drive, then insert the boot up disc and once booted up I then connect the external drive USB cable and start restore. Is this correct or am I over simplifying? And, if I decide to check out my boot up CD to confirm it works I hope it won't mess up my original settings and I can go back to my original computer settings.
  • As long as you don't recover your backup nothing happens to your data. If your external drive is an USB 3.0 one it maybe will not work with your boot disc. In that case you can either add the appropriate driver or simply use an USB 2.0 port. If you buy your new drive, I recommend you to check also the price for 1 TB disk. The value for money could be much better here.

Pit
  • Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go with the 1 TB it only costs about $11 more. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
  • Good deal, looking forward to hearing from you.

Pit