Home AOMEI Products Support

Mount image cannot restore users folder "Access is denied"

I have a full backup from AOMEI Backupper. I would like to restore Thunderbird's address book which is contained inside c:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming. (Since making the backup I have reformatted and installed the machine, its Windows 7 before and after).

I have explored the image and I can browse to see the user's folder but I cannot enter it because Windows tells me "access is denied". I can't modify the security permission because the image is mounted read only.

I am attempting to copy the user's folder to a temp folder on C in order that I might be able to give myself access but it appears to not be copying.

Do you have any tips or has anyone solved similar before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Daniel.

Comments

• Daniel,

This has been discussed many times.  Here is a link to a discussion with information regarding this including links to more instructions for how people have dealt with it.

• edited December 2016

I am new to AOMEI Backupper. I just encountered this denied access issue when I wanted to open some files on a different computer from the one I had backed up. The advice given on this forum is to use a file manager other than Windows Explorer. This works, but you must run that file manager as administrator. Here is website that offers several free file manager options, inclusing some that can be run without installing them. 

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-replacements-for-windows-explorer/

• edited December 2016

For this problem, please run the software under the Administrator account and then restore to the C drive. Then you can get the user fodler.