Home Storage General Discussion

image an mbr drive to a gpt partition, restore back to mbr drive, problem?

I want to make an image to backup my system drive. My C: system drive is an MBR type (NTFS) of less than 500GB. I was figuring my backup drive to be a similarly sized (slightly larger just in case) partition on a 4TB external drive, which necessarily is GPT type (also NTFS).

In my forum browsings I found some comments saying imaging an MBR to a GPT drive could be a problem if one wants to boot from the GPT. Does this problem apply in my case where I would be booting from the Rescue Disc (WinPE), then restoring from the image on the GPT partition?

Would there be no problem with restoring the image in these 2 possible situations?:

My original MBR C: drive is ok, I just need to restore my system to a previous state. Therefor, image on the GPT drive is being transferred to the C: drive which is MBR.

or

The original MBR C: drive has failed. I get another hard drive, likely need to format the new drive as MBR also because my motherboard is from 2010 (assuming it is not UEFI capable)? Then restore from the image.

I haven't gone through a recovery procedure before, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding something fundamental? For example, perhaps when the image of the MBR C: drive is made on the the partition of the GPT drive, does that partition effectively become an MBR type?

Thanks for any insight!

Comments

• Make no mistake, you just want to restore image of the MBR C:drive is made on the partition of the GPT drive to an MBR drive. In my opinion, there would be no problem with restoring the inage in the 2 possible situations. The backup source drive and the restore destination drive have to be the same type.

• thanks very much!