Home AOMEI Products Support

It's all fun and games until windows refuses to boot !

edited January 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hey guys, first of all thanks for the great freeware !

My trouble
is that I want to migrate my OS from an old HDD to a new one, and it
works ! I can even reboot (for updates for examples) and that's awesome
but..........

When i shut down my computer and go to bed...On the
next morning, windows won't boot ("software or hardware change, "cant
boot.ini", "ntsf.sys" some stuff like that).
So everytime i reconnect the old one, and windows boot as if nothing happened.

I tried several times now and it still the same so if you could help me that would be great !

Thanks !

Comments

• BoOBoO,

I'd recommend doing a full reformat of the new hard drive.  Once that's complete, clone the original disk to the new one or make a full disk backup of the original then restore onto the new disk.  Once that's finished, run a disk check to ensure that the drive has no trouble with any files.  Once the system is ready, pull the original drive and ensure that the new drive is booting.  If it reboots without a power down but fails when you power it off again, it could be a failing drive, a BIOS setting attempting to force booting from a particular disk, or possibly the partition table is somehow not being set up correctly.

If the drive is failing you'll likely catch that with the disk scan.

If it's a BIOS setting looking to boot from a particular disk, enter your BIOS and check the boot order section.  Ensure it's configured to boot from the hard disk you actually have in it.

If it's a partition table issue, download and install Aomei PE Builder.  Once that is done, create a bootable USB or CD.  Boot from it, then open Aomei Partition Assistant.  Use that program to rebuild the MBR on the hard disk.  Also ensure that the partition is setup as a primary partition and that it's set active.

• Wow thanks a lot Daryl ! I'll try everything and let you know :)

• Well I tried, but I still got this message "winload.exe missing or corrupt" :(

• Hmmm I just figured out that what I thought was my Bios is a UEFI, that's it then ?
    http://lecrabeinfo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/uefi-asus-cccece-466x350.jpg

• Sorry for the delay.  I'm on the forum, but not daily.  If your system is set to boot in UEFI mode, be sure that your partition table type is set to GUID and not MBR.

Here is a description of the differences between MBR and GUID.  Note that Partition Assistant from Aomei can convert from MBR to GUID in the free version.  If you need to go from GUID to MBR, though you need the professional edition.