Home AOMEI Products Support

Problem with disk backup/system backup not boot

I have purchased Aomei Backupper Pro and I am facing the following issue: a) I tried to do a disk clone of my Windows 10 system from one NVMe to another through Windows, and when the process finished, I removed the old NVMe and connected the new one (the one I had cloned), but the system does not start. b) I also tried with system clone and the result was the same. The system does not start. And I want to ask the following, as I have purchased Aomei Backupper and recommended it to at least three of my clients who also purchased it: Is there any way to correctly clone my system? Maybe I should start from a USB boot WinPE and then do the clone? Because this is a serious problem, I would like you to inform me immediately, as my clients and I had the impression that by creating a disk clone or system clone on an empty disk/SSD/NVMe, in case of damage, we could remove the problematic disk and replace it with the cloned system. But apparently, this impression is incorrect and we might need to uninstall Aomei Backupper and purchase another software from a different company. Please respond as soon as possible.

Comments

• edited May 20
    Hello Prax, thank you for your question. I understand you want to clone an internal M.2 NVMe disk to an external M.2 NVMe disk, but it is not booting. After you cloned, did you go to your UEFI, to check that the motherboard detects the new disk? There are several ways to migrate a Windows system. You have already done Backupper Disk Clone, BU System Clone. When migrating Windows with BU, the best method is BU > System Backup with universal restore setting. This will create an image.ADI backup file > boot PC with BU USB > restore file to target disk > remove USB, boot PC.
    If that does not work, you can also do BU > disk clone with exact sector by sector setting.
    If that does not work, you can also do Partition Assistant > disk clone with exact sector by sector setting.
    Please reply with a screenshot from BU of your disks, thanks.
    Tech Support
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work on some Monitors.
    Backupper Manual
    https://www.aomeitech.com/docs/AOMEI_Backupper_UserManual.pdf

Backupper Guide
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/

• edited May 20
    Remember, not all M.2 disks are NVMe. There is also M.2 SATA, they look the same, but they have a different digital language they communicate with. If you try to put an M.2 SATA disk into an M.2 NVMe slot, it will not boot.

• @Praxenidis, Please check the following items to check and fix the boot problem.
    1. Please first check if the source and target drive are the same disk style (MBR or GPT).
    You can press Win+R, then run “diskmgmt.msc” to open Windows Disk Management, then right click the source/target disk, click “Properties”-->”Volumes” to check Partition style.
    If the target disk is different with the source one, please delete all partitions on the target disk and convert it to the same form via Windows Disk Management. After that, please run system or disk clone again.
    2. Please check the connect way of the target disk when you boot from it. Generally, you need to connect it as an internal drive to boot. You can connect the target disk to the second internal slot, then boot into BIOS to set it to boot. Or, you can remove the source disk and connect target one to here, then boot.
    3. Please try to clear the target disk and then clone again.
    4. If they are GPT system disk, please boot into BIOS to check if there are multiple boot options. If yes, please try to select every boot option to check if it is able to boot.
    5. Please try to use AOMEI Boot Repair tool to repair the cloned disk. Please still boot from the source disk, download AOMEI Boot Repair tool from the link, and then unzip it. Then, run “AOMEI Boot Repair.exe” (select the corresponding x64 or x86 version based on your system version) to fix the cloned system. Then, try to boot it again.
    6. If it still can’t boot, please take a photo of the boot error to us. And, please also boot from the source dsk, and connect the target one, then take a screenshot of Windows Disk Management so that we check.