Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore windows 10 to windows 11

Excuse me I am not all that savy . My computer died I was running windows 10.  I purchased new computer windows 11 want to restore windows 10 to new windows 11 have been backing up with AOMEI pro. Have on external drive . Easy enough well not for me . Windows 11 has partitions which I know little about. Directions say right click delete , wrong it’s greyed out . So instructed to make recovery disk . Cannot get it to boot to disk windows wants to go to advanced options . I have spent weeks in what should have taken a short amount of time. So when I go into system restore it will not allow me to add the path to AOmEI backup image . I don’t want to loose everything. This has been WEEKS  I send email to AOMEI they refer me to directions that don’t seem to work for me. Considering downloading partition manager just delete partitions then just restore to the remaining partision . But where will my backup go. I did backup my OS using windows 7 , to another external drive . Unplugged that as it will find that image but I want to recover win10 from AOMEI  backup.  Can anyone please help me AOMEI help has not been able they just say delete partitions and restore. But cannot boot to DVD and don’t know how to get rid of partitions . Sorry if I have gone one but I am at whits end and weeks have gone by 
 feelgoodcp 

Comments

• @Feelgood, Where is the win10 backup image saved to? external drive? or NAS device? Did you perform the system backup or disk backup for the old Windows 10 computer?
    "Cannot get it to boot to disk windows wants to go to advanced options "--Did you mean that you can't boot the Win11 computer from WinPE bootable media of AOMEI Backupper? Did you create the WinPE bootable media on the windows 11 system? What error situation did you get when you boot from WinPE media? Please take screenshots so that we check.

•  To restore Windows 10 to Windows 11, perform a clean installation of Windows 11 by creating a bootable USB drive with the Windows 11 installation media. directv packages  Boot your computer from the USB drive, follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 11, and choose the option to format the disk during the installation process. Ensure to back up your important files before proceeding with the installation.

• edited March 21
    "Directions say right click delete , wrong it’s greyed out. "

Windows disk management won't allow you to delete esp or recovery partitions.

"So instructed to make recovery disk . Cannot get it to boot to disk windows wants to go to advanced options ."

Does that mean a windows 11 recovery disc on dvd? Created by running recdisc.exe

"I did backup my OS using windows 7 , to another external drive "

Is that a windows system image of your win10 system ? They call it windows 7 backup and restore.

"Unplugged that as it will find that image" 

Presumably you mean it will not find that image. 

What do you mean "it" . What are you using to try and restore the windows system image ?
  • I am using AOMEI backerupper . I am told I must delete partitions to restore. Here is some history. My old computer had power supply as well as possibly other things go . Decided just to replace with new . New came with windows 11 . So wanted to restore but had to get ride of partitions here is where problems came.  Now I realize I would like to keep windows 11 but restore ALL  my files from the backup. I mounted backed drag and drop a few . But would their b an easy way to just restore all files ? 
  • @Feelgood, For adi image file, it will overwrite the destination. You can only explore it to virtual partitions and then manually copy some files.