Home AOMEI Products Support

can i restore system partitions while keeping a data partition on the same drive that i restore?

For example, I have a SSD that have my system (partition C:) and a data partition (D:).

I only backup the system partitions (with AOMEI backupper / system backup). I do not backup the data partition D:

If one day I need to restore my system, will the restore process keep my data partition (D:) intact?

Or will it format the entire SSD before the restore and destroy my data partition (which was not part of the system backup)?

Comments

• edited February 27
    Thank you Loupiote.
    Backupper can do system backups, and disk backups. Neither one is better than the other, they each have pros and cons.
    System backup is best for new users because it is easy, and also any users for migrating to a new PC.
    Disk backup is best for technician users, or for any users who want the entire disk and all partitions backed up. In most cases, disk backup & restore will work well for migration to new PC. However, system backup & restore is the best for migration.
    If you want all partitions, you should probably use disk backup.
  • edited February 27
    thanks, but you did not answer my question.

If I restore a system backup that includes partition C but not partition D, will my existing partition D be preserved on the drive where i restore, or will it be destroyed /formatted by the system restore process?
  • edited February 27
    Restoring a system backup image will erase the entire target disk. Restoring a disk backup image will erase the target disk.
    You have described what you don't want to do, you don't want to erase a data partition on your target disk. Please reply with what your goal is in restoring your system backup image. Are you trying to restore your entire Windows system and boot from that? Or are you trying to get 1 file out of your backup?
    If your goal is to recover specific files from your backup, you could instead use Tools > Explore Image.

• edited February 27
    My goal is to restore the entire system partitions (that i have backed-up with AOMEI backupper), but to leave the data partition intact (on the destination drive).

Is there a way to achieve this?

An example is: my system does not boot anymore, but the drive itself is not damaged, so the issue is with the boot partition.
  • What is your goal in restoring the partitions? Are you trying to boot from the system, or recover specific files?
  • edited February 27
    My goal is to restore partition C (my system partition), but i want partition D to be left intact on the drive where I restore partition C.

I am not trying to restore specific files. I want to restore entire partition C. But I want to keep partition D intact.

Is there a way to do that? (e.g. using a bootable USB with backupper on it)
  • edited February 27
    If I chose to restore a single partition with the backupper, it will leave all the other partitions (of the destination disk) intact, right?
  • @Loupiote, If you perform the system backup, you can restore the system backup to the original system locations. It will not destroy your data partition. But, we suggest you'd better also do a backup for the data partition for data security.
  • Thanks! Human answer is better than the AI answer, as usual :)