Home Storage General Discussion

No bootable USB stick possible

I have a Windows 10 with all updates. I can not longer start from a USB stick created by Backupper 7.3.3. After starting the stick, the message "BiInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000009a" appears. It must be related to the latest WIN 10 because Microsoft has changed something. I found out that all ISO and Wim files before a date (that's true, I tried) around May 1923 (your Win PE is from 2022) will no longer start. This means the program is useless because if Windows fails, I can no longer access my backups.
Tagged:

Comments

• I mean 2023 not 1923 :)
  • It's ONLY my desktop with Win 10 Pro, disk format GPT (NTFS) Secure Boot turned off. My Laptop Win 10 Home, everything the same (GPT etc.) starts without any problems. And my two older Laptops (without GPT and Secure Boot) had no Problems either way.
    Question, why do all ISO and Wim Files run after May 2023. For example, a Linux Mint 20 ISO does NOT run, a Mint 21.3 ISO does!!!
  • edited February 25
    "I have a Windows 10 with all updates. I can not longer start from a USB stick"
    Please reinstall BU, and create the USB stick again. Confirm the USB stick has an MBR partition table for maximum compatibility.
    When booting the stick, please use your brand's temporary boot menu. Some PCs will not boot to a USB stick, merely because the UEFI permanent boot order has USB at the top, in some models, to boot to the stick, it must be selected from the temporary boot menu manually.
    If your PC does not use M.2 disks, then you could use Aomei (Win)PE Builder 2.0 USB, that is a great tool for older PCs.
    After doing that, if the stick still does not boot, if you have experience, you could make a USB stick with Ventoy.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.

Aomei (Win)PE Builder USB:
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Best for PCs before 2020, includes Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal M.2 NVMe disks.
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/all-in-one-os-bootable-usb-7983-rc.html
    Put all bootable ISOs on 1 USB Stick, open source

• I have already tried everything you have described here “several times”. (With Ventoy, for example, the PC doesn't boot either). I have already partitioned “several” USB sticks with MBR and GPT, nothing works. Aomei Backupper was uninstalled several times and reinstalled. Tried different versions. The error remains. I have M2 on both the desktop and the one laptop that works. That's why everything is so "crazy". It must be Aomei's fault, because no matter what I do, the error "BiInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000009a" always appears. I've now tried another program with a different Wim file, and lo and behold, it works directly from the WIM. Just like Aomei, it starts with the Window (similar to CMD under Windows), sets a few commands (I don't know which ones at the moment) and immediately points to the backups that I have created. If no one here can explain the specific error to me, it will probably no longer be Aomei on my Desktop. The paradox is, why only on the desktop? The specific error is hardly described either. So I thought someone here might know what that is!
  • edited February 26
    Please reply with a screenshot of the error, and a screenshot from Partition Assistant.
    PC brand, year, model #?
    Create BU USB from another working PC, and test if that works on this PC.
    Do all Windows updates, including optional updates.
    Go to your manufacturer website and manually install latest UEFI update.
    Can you confirm you tried using the alternate USB tool, Aomei (Win)PE Builder 2.0? Link is above.
    Can you confirm your motherboard CSM is turned off?
    Turn off PC, remove power cable, remove CMOS battery for 5 minutes, reinsert CMOS.
    "With Ventoy, for example, the PC doesn't boot"
    Ventoy boots to 99% of PCs I have used it on, from 2001 - 2024. If the Ventoy menu does not boot at all, there is a deeper problem.
    Have you read about Microsoft's major update of UEFI motherboards? There was a security flaw found, they are in the middle of doing 3 major updates to UEFI, it will take about 1-2 years to complete, and is expected to cause some boot disruption. Find articles to read on that.
    Tech Support & license reset
    [email protected]
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Supergrub 2 - Force Boot Absolutely Anything
    https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk

• Please close this case. 
    I have (had before) done EVERYTHING, I repeat EVERYTHING you say. I've been there for about 14 days. All bios, motherboard, windows updates done. More is not possible. Why should I send a photo of the error? It says the same thing “BiInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000009a”. Thanks for your help. I stand by AOMEI is not suitable for this PC. 
    The program I have now works fine on the desktop in question. And I'm tired of investing any more time. My other three laptops stay on Aomei, because that's where it works. I even suspect that there is a mistake in the last bios update (from Gigabyte), because since then the desktop has been "crazy" with Aomei. But otherwise it runs ok, no problems.

• I have now found my (a) solution. Still impossible to boot from USB stick created by AOMEI. Error always the same. BIOS is and never has been.
    There is a program Yumi. The ISO installed there works, but only if you do NOT boot via WIN PE. The same error occurs again with Win PE. There is a “normal Mode” there. And so I created a backup again using the “multiboot stick”.
    Why that is so, I have NO IDEA. The main thing is that it works - again!!