Home AOMEI Products Support

Partition Assistant PE Mode shows loading partition since more than 12 hours

Hi,

I wanted to shrink my C: partition and extend my recovery partition with Partition Assisant 8.2.

The PC booted in Partition Assistant PE mode and shows that its loading one partition after the other, but it is running for more than 12 hours. Could you please tell me, what the tool does at this point? Does it make sence to wait or should I reset my PC? I'm afraid to loose all my data...

Kind regards,
Oliver

Comments

• edited February 23
    Hello Paul, that is unfortunate to hear about your PA WinPE going very slow.
    I don't know how to safely get out of the screen you are in. Could you please reply with a screenshot? What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop? HDD, SSHD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    Here are some tips:
    1) Always use Disk Management to resize disks when possible, because it is faster than PA. In some cases DM will not resize, and then you could use PA instead. PA resize is more versitile, but it is slower.
    2) Please update PA to newest version before using it, I see you are using PA 8.2, that is from several years ago.
    3) If you need to use PA WinPE, please use PA USB-WinPE version instead of PA-app-WinPE.
    4) Before doing any disk changes, such as shrinking partitions, please always backup your entire disk with Backupper, to an external disk, and then after that, remove the backup-disk.
    5) Never use PA-PreOS mode, that is a very old mode, and is not a solution to your WinPE problem.
    Partition Assistant Manual
    https://www.diskpart.com/download/UserManual.pdf

Partition Assistant General Help Topics
    https://www.diskpart.com/manual.html

• Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I tried to shrink the disk using Windows DM, but it told me, that it can't shrink, even there is space free.

I had 8.2 installed on it so I just opened it. It told me it has to use PE mode so it booted automatically that.

Here is what it look like. PC is a desktop with several disks. Partly HDD, partly SSD. The changes I needed would have been on the SSD (system disk). Why does it touch all disks?

Can I switch of the PC at that point or do I need to wait?

Is it really moving data at that point or only loading/reading?

Kind regards,
    Oliver

• edited February 24
    "Why does it touch all disks?"
    Could you please tell us more what you mean?
    PA, BU will scan all attached disks during app startup, but only the user may decide to perform any action on disks.
    Please also contact Aomei Support directly, using your native language.

• @UnserPaul, Please reboot your computer. It should be able to reboot into the system. Based on your situation, we are afraid that our software can't help you extend the recovery partition.