Home AOMEI Products Support

Blue Screen During Disk Clone

I have a 500gb SSD MBR and I'm trying to clone this onto a new 4tb SSD GPT.  The clone gets about through a third and bluescreens.  It's done this two times now.  I haven't had any issues with my source drive, other than it being too small.  Perhaps I'm using the software incorrectly, but the bluescreen isn't a graceful exit if something goes wrong.

If the software won't work for me, I'd like to get a refund.
Please advise.

Thanks...

Comments

• edited February 12
    Thank you, Xyresic.
    Disk 1 SSD MBR 500GB source
    Disk 2 SSD GPT 4TB destination
    "I have a 500gb SSD MBR and I'm trying to clone this onto a new 4tb SSD GPT"
    MBR Disks have a max size of 2TB. You could try using Partition Assistant to convert the destination disk 2 to an MBR partition table, then you could reclone, then you could use PA to convert the destination disk 2 partition table to GPT. However, it would be best if the source disk 1 was already GPT before cloning. See below.
    "I haven't had any issues with my source drive, other than it being too small"
    If your goal is increase size, you could use Partition Assistant to convert to GPT partition table type, and then clone again; before you do that, please find a 3rd disk, and use Backupper to create a disk image.adi, with Exact-Sector-By-Sector setting, saved onto Disk 3. It is always important to create a backup, before changing settings on a disk.
    If your disk has Windows on it, then it is better to use PA > MigrateOS feature, or Backupper > System Clone. For the highest rate of compatibility when migrating Windows disks, please use Backupper > System Backup, with Universal Restore Setting, then after you can restore your disk image.adi to the destination disk. I don't know which product you are using.
    Here is an article from Aomei on MBR limits.
    Could you please reply with the answers to:
    1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) SSHD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Aomei product Backupper, Partition Assistant? Tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
    5) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    6) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis > lis par > lis vol
    Thank you.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html
    MBR Limit 2TB

• Thank you.  I ran the clone process a third time and sat with it through the day, monitoring it.  It just completed successfully.  I'll have to see if I can boot onto it.

1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM?
            The motherboard is not set to UEFI, but I'll set that flag when I swap in the new drive.  It's currently connected via USB.
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
            The computer is custom, not a particular brand.
            The BIOS is American Megatrends, 2018, Desktop
    3) SSHD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
            Both the old and new drive are both NVMe M.2 SSD.  Crucial is the brand.
            Current primary is 500gb (500mb ntfs reserved partition, 488gb ntfs boot partition, 500mb recovery partition)
            After using Backupper, the new drive is 4tb (3.72gb ntfs partition, 3700gb ntfs partition, 3.79gb ntfs partition)
            When I attempt to boot onto the new drive, I'm not sure if Windows will use the other two partitions on the new drive in a simlar way they are being used on the old drive.  I'm kind of assuming when I swap this with the old drive and change to UEFI in the BIOS that I will boot right in.  I have no idea how Windows will manage recovery points, etc.
    4) Aomei product Backupper, Partition Assistant? Tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
            Backupper Pro
    5) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
            Windows 10 Home
    6) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis >
            I'm not sure what you mean by Diskpart.  Am I to run this in a command line:  "Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis >"

Thanks
  • I should mention.  The last time I ran the clone job, I did choose Aomei's copy method and not VSS.  I'm not sure if that was the solution or not.
  • edited February 12
    Aomei recommends using Microsoft VSS.
    Please post a screenshot of both disks from PA, and Diskpart.
    Cmd
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    list partition
    list volume
    detail disk
  • Motherboard recognized the new drive but would not boot to it.  Just get a blue screen and machine reboots.  I've put the old drive back in and booted back onto it.  It's what I'm using now.

Here's the new disk after the first attempt at cloning (third after the bluescreens):

• edited February 12
    I'm trying to clone the first drive onto the second while retaining the OS.  Though it appears to have copied over, the three partitions on the new drive are bigger and unlabled (as recovery partition, etc).  I assumed the first time I booted onto the drive, the middle partition would show as boot...but honestly, I don't know what I'm doing here.  I thought this would be a simple "insert new drive on usb", clone it, swap it with the original and go.  This is definitly a mess.

I assume we can clone again without causing any issues to the new destination drive.  The partitions will be wiped and rebuilt during the clone, correct?

Thanks for you help...
  • edited February 12
    If it helps...

Let me know if you need to see a picture of the BIOS screen...

Thank you.
  • After looking through the previous posts I'm starting to think I bought the wrong software.  Should I have purchased Partition Assistant and not Backupper?
  • edited February 12
    "honestly, I don't know what I'm doing here"
    If you clone Windows to a new disk with a different partition type type, then it won't boot. A partition table is the map of the partitions. There are 2 types, the old MBR, and the new modern GPT. MBR was designed for small disks, and Windows 10 is the last version that can support it. Your destination disk 2 is larger than 2TB, so your end goal is to have it be GPT.
    If your goal is increase size, you could use Partition Assistant to convert disk 1 to GPT partition table type, and then clone again; before you do that, please find a 3rd disk, and use Backupper free to create a disk image.adi, with Exact-Sector-By-Sector setting, saved onto Disk 3. It is always important to create a backup, before changing settings on a disk.
    Because your disk 1 is a system disk with Windows on it, you should use PA > MigrateOS feature.

• Understood.  Can I swap and pay the difference between the two products (backupper and partition assistant) since it's clear now I bought the wrong product?
  • Thanks for your help.  I went ahead and applied for a refund for the Backupper and cancelled the subscription.  I have my data backed up so I think I'm just going to reinstall windows from scratch and go from there.  Thanks.
  • edited February 12
    "Aomei product Backupper, Partition Assistant? Tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
            Backupper Pro"
          Hello, I am sorry, I forgot you said this, I thought you had already bought Partition Assisant Professional.
    Either program has a Windows system disk migration feature, that will work for almost all situations.
    If you scroll up, you can see I did say that of the 2 products, Backupper > system backup > restore with Universal Restore setting is best for migrating to a new dissimilar PC, or the same PC that has a new configuration. Since you had BU, did you try that method?
    If you are looking for a deal on Aomei products, did you know PA and BU each have a 50% off button? Uninstall BU free or PA free app to see button, it's always there.
    If I were you, I would keep both programs. Again, I am sorry for the mistake.
    "I'm just going to reinstall windows from scratch"
    Free download not from Aomei:
    Windows 10 Official Download
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

• Thank you for your help on this.  Much appreciated :)