Home AOMEI Products Support

Failed to start MSI PC after system image restore

SSSSSS
edited January 16 in AOMEI Products Support
I had a fresh Windows 11 install on a new SSD, then I did a system image restore after which took a while, my PC failed to start and gave me a blue screen with a message that something went wrong. Now I can't use my PC, the recovery drive on my USB does not work and gives me an error saying there was a problem with recovery. I formatted the SSD from the command prompt in the troubleshooting section. Please help, what do I do?

Comments

• edited January 16
    "I did a system image restore"
    Which type of system image are you referring to? Windows System Image Restore? Windows System Restore Point? Backupper System Image Restore? They have the same or similar names, but are 3 very different backup types and features. Windows system image restore program was invented in about 2009, and usually works, but is known to be unreliable. The same for Windows system restore point, they usually work, but sometimes fail, or even crash your system. 3rd party backup software, such as Acronis, Shadowmaker, or Backupper are constantly kept up to date, and is far more reliable than the very old 2 Windows backup programs. The one and only time I truely needed to use my Windows System Image, it failed.
    "formatted the SSD from the command prompt in the troubleshooting section"
    Formatting means you erased all of the data on your hard drive.
    "Please help, what do I do?"
    What do you want from your PC? If you had personal data on your disk when you erased it, then you will now perform data recovery on your disk. For free data recovery, you could go to another working PC, and create 
    Hirens USB > Recuva.
    If you did not have personal data on your disk when you erased it, then you will now reinstall windows 11 from scratch, that is easy.
    Please reply with more info, and tell us specifically what you want, and we can advise further, thank you.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    Recover erased partition:
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org
    160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. Put custom drivers, such as NVMe drivers, into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.
    LazeSoft - Aggressive Windows boot repair
    Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

• @SSS, Please try to create a WinPE bootable media of AOMEI Backupper on another working computer, and then boot the computer from WinPE media to do the restore again. Before restoring, you can wipe the related system partitions (EFI and C: drive).
  • SSSSSS
    edited January 17
    Not sure how to reply on here since I saw no option so I'll tag. @admin @aiArtisan I used AOMEI's system restore, which led to me not being able to use the laptop with Windows installed on it after it was finished restoring. I put the old SSD back in which has Windows installed and works fine to re-do the recovery drive which did not work. When I did system restore was I not supposed to have Windows already installed on the new SSD, was universal restore not supposed to be checked? Were these the problem(s)? I'm failing to understand why, and especially why the recovery drive is failing, since it worked at first but after doing this system restore it doesn't anymore. I just want to be able to use my new SSD but I can't. The recovery drive only has Windows on it, yet it fails the recovery process when I do it on my new SSD which I used AOMEI's system restore on.
  • I'm not sure how to reply on here so I'll tag, sorry about that @admin @aiArtisan
  • edited January 17
    Disk 0 - Original Windows disk
    Disk 1 - Restored Windows disk
    Disk 2 - USB stick

"used AOMEI's system restore, which led to me not being able to use the laptop"
    The partition table MBR/GPT is the 1 part of the disk that BU does not backup or clone, unless you click exact-sector-by-sector setting. Under normal circumstances, you do not have have to use exact-sector-by-sector setting. However, prior to restoring to Disk 1, you must confirm the partition table source matches the destination. If the source is GPT, the destination must be GPT. You may use Cmd > Diskpart to convert an empty disk partition table type. When you convert the partition table type, it will erase all data on that disk.
    Universal Restore is a powerful feature of Aomei, and a few other softwares. It is not necessary to use this feature, when you are restoring to the same hardware that you used when you created the backup.
    Did you try any of the links?
  • @aiArtisan I'm struggling to understand the things you said in your post unfortunately  :(
    I haven't tried any of those links. At this point I just want to be able to use my new SSD again, but the only problem preventing me from doing so is Windows failing to recover, "There was a problem recovering your PC." it gives this exact message, which is odd since when I first installed the SSD and used the recovery drive it worked fine until I used AOMEI system restore. I formatted the SSD from command prompt and tried doing recovery again but it gave me the same error. I don't care about recovering my data anymore, I just want to be able to use my new SSD. Do you think if I used Window's default system image backup (and restored it from the troubleshooting section) instead of attempting to use the recovery drive, that it will work? like, would it overwrite whatever problem is causing the recovery drive to not work?
  • So should I try deleting the partition of the new SSD then try doing recovery again? Is this different to formatting it from the command prompt?
  • @SSS, Yes, please try to delete all partitions on the new SSD via command prompt, and then do the restore again.
  • If your original SSD is still working OK and booting your computer, I would connect your new SSD to the computer using a SATA to USB cable and then use AOMEI "disk clone" command.
    This will make an exact, bootable copy of your old SSD onto the new one. Then just swap out your old SSD and replace it with the new one and you should be fine.
    I use this strategy every month to make a clone of my computer's SSD which I can use to replace it if the installed SSD crashes