Home AOMEI Products Support

Issue after resizing Recovery Partition

I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (free) to increase the size of the W10 Recovery Partition - this is a topic at the moment as many are seeing a recent Windows Update failing due to the Recovery Partition being too small.

The resize worked but afterwards I noticed in Disk Management that the partition displayed no label - it was blank instead of  "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".

Using Diskpart I could see the Attributes field may have been zeroed in the resize - I used the Diskpart command "set gpt attributes =0x8000000000000001" to resolve - a value mentioned in articles concerning about Recovery Partitions.

This may be system dependent but I thought it worth mentioning a potential bug.

Comments

• edited January 14
    "AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (free) to increase the size of the W10 Recovery Partition"
    You don't need PA to resize a WinRE partition. You can use Windows Disk Management, or Windows Diskpart.
    I have tested about 13 disk management utilities in Windows, Linux, Mac, and PA is the best, it has the most features. Please do not use PA > shrink partition, it can take a very long time, or result in an error. Please do not use PA PreOS mode, it can result in errors.
    "many are seeing a recent Windows Update failing due to the Recovery Partition being too small"
    Thank you, I read 1 other person earlier this week say that too, now I know the problem is affecting many people.
    "This may be system dependent but I thought it worth mentioning a potential bug."
    You are appreciated, please post about additional bugs in Windows, or other utilities, then they can be avoided, or repaired.
    If you need to reply, please include a screenshot of this error, it helps.
  • Thanks but the post was just to report to AOMEI finding the Attrib field being reset to zero after a resize of a recovery partition - the Type field is still OK though. In fact you cant use diskpart or disk management to resize a recovery partition - the Microsoft support article KB5028997 involves multiple steps with the partition being deleted and re-created. I also didnt need to shrink with free space to the right. So I'd assumed using a tool would be the simpler option but in the end it needed some extras steps to tidy.
    No idea what "You are appreciated, please post about additional bugs in Windows, or other utilities, then they can be avoided, or repaired."  means - this can be reproduced easily enough and I think worth fixing as others might be doing the same thing given the number of reports of the WU failing.
  • @Jak, Thanks for your feedback. We will optimize it after.
  • I just encountered the same problem using the paid version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. 
    I moved some partitions around to put some unallocated space next to the recovery partition.  That took several hours in WinPE mode to complete. 
    Then, as a separate operation, I went to resize the recovery partition to increase its size into the unallocated area.  This was done within Windows 10 and took about 30 seconds.  However, Disk Management shows the new size, but its no longer identified as a "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".  Also, the partition no longer shows as (Disk 0 partition 1) in the Volume list.
    How can I get this partition to be properly identified?
  • I was able to fix the problem and get Windows 10 to recognize the larger recovery partition.  Here's what I did.
    Open a Command Prompt at the Admin level and enter the following commands.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> reagentc /info
      This should show disabled since the recovery partition isn't identified

C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart
    DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> select disk (DiskNumber from "list disk" command)
    DISKPART> list partition
      Note:  the type was still listed as "Recovery", even though it was not recognized by Disk Management
    DISKPART> select partition (PartitionNumber of the resized Recovery Partition)
    DISKPART> set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
       Note:  I believe this is the attribute that was cleared when AOMEI resized the partition.  This ID is required to identify it as a recovery partition.
    DISKPART> exit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32> reagentc /enable
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> reagentc /info
      This should now show a status of "Enabled" and the RE location should point to the directory on the recovery partition.

Opening Disk Management should now show a "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" and the partition should be listed in the Volume list.

• edited February 7
    Final update:
    After resizing the Recovery Partition from 527 MB to 909 MB and running the above steps to get Windows to identify the Healthy Recovery Partition, I was able to successfully install the infamous Windows Security Update that was causing all this trouble KB5034441.
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5034441-windows-recovery-environment-update-for-windows-10-version-21h2-and-22h2-january-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8

Resizing the Recovery Partition with AOMEI is a lot easier than the complex steps listed in the Microsoft KB articles.  Even adding the few Command Prompt steps to get it to recognize the Partition was a lot easier and safer with AOMEI.

• edited February 7
    "In fact you cant use...disk management to resize a recovery partition"
    Yes, you are right Jak, Disk Management cannot resize WinRec.
    If your WinRec partition is working and recognized normally, but you merely need to resize it larger, then Diskpart may change WinRec partition type ID to basic data EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7, then Extend, then change back to WinRec partition type ID DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC.
    You are right, Partition Assistant would be easier in this case, after they fix this issue.
    If your WinRec is not working normally, or is not recognized by Windows, then you could try as Rand suggested.