Home Storage General Discussion

Can't boot to cloned M.2 SSD

I mounted the Samsung 980 M.2 SSD in the computer and it appeared in the system. I cloned the HDD to the SSD, with Aomei Partition Assistant, then wanted to run Windows from the SSD. Although it was set to the first position in the Bios, it did not boot on the SSD but still on the HDD. If I disconnected the HDD, I got an error when starting the PC. What would be the problem?

Comments

• edited December 2023
    "If I disconnected the HDD, I got an error when starting the PC. What would be the problem?" 

What is the error message?

Most likely the bcd entry is pointing at the source operating system.
  • edited December 2023
    Please clone again, this time using PA Exact-Sector-By-Sector setting. Some disk cloning software clones the partition table, and some do not. In PA, it only clones the partition table if you have that setting on. In Backupper, it doesn't clone the partition table, even with that setting on.
    I have seen an error before, because I did not use that setting in PA, after cloning from HDD to SSD.
    Before recloning, if you are using Windows Bitlocker, you must backup your 50 digit BL recovery key onto paper, you may lose your data forever. Also it is a good idea to backup your essential files to a small USB stick, just in case.
    After recloning with that setting, if it still does not boot, please post a screenshot of the error, as SIW2 said.
    You could also use boot recovery software, but before you do that, disconnect your old HDD. Start with Windows 11 USB startup repair. For a more aggressive solution, you could try Lazesoft USB > 1 click repair, which repairs 7 different boot problems in 1 second.
    In the future, please choose 1 language for your entire post. If you are going to write in English, please post screenshots in English PC. If you are going to post screenshots from a PC with a different language, please also write in that same language, that makes it a lot easier on people. Aomei products support a lot of languages, and they have support technicians that speak all of those languages, so it is ok, just keep it consistant, thank you.
    Please answer the questions:
    1) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    2) HDD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    3) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
    4) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    5) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol > det dis
    Thank you.
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    LazeSoft - Windows boot repair
    https://www.lazesoft.com

Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Microsoft Windows 11 Official Download
    https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

• Thank you!

First, the easy part:
    1) Lenovo Ideacentre 510-15ICB Desktop - Type 90HU001KRI, bought in 2018
    2) HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 1TB, SSD: Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 500GB
    3) Aomei Partition Assistant Professional Edition 10.2.2
    4) Windows 11 Home 23H2
    5) I will post the screenshot later, when I remove the HDD from my PC

My source HDD is 1TB, the SSD just 500GB, I think I cannot make Sector-By-Sector clone.

• And, when I tried to start without HDD appeared:
    Sorry it's not in English.

• edited December 2023
    Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis #
    Where " # " is the number of the disk you want to get information about. Then
    lis par
    lis vol
    det dis
    I understand your target disk is smaller, and that you cannot do Exact-Sector-By-Sector setting.
    Please instead use Backupper Pro > Clone with Universal Restore setting. That is designed for your situation, where you cannot use Exact setting, but you are restoring to dissimilar hardware. Usually a Windows OS can handle being cloned or restored to dissimilar hardware, but in rare cases, it needs a 3rd party software, such as BU to help migrate OS safely.
  • Finally I cloned the system using Aomei PA again, choosing the Migrate system to SSD option. That's how I was able to boot from the SSD.
    Thank you for the well targeted help. I learned some things.
    Good luck in 2024!
  • edited December 2023
    Yes, that I think that is a slightly different mode than the regular clone. I am sorry I did not think of that. Good luck.