Home AOMEI Products Support

Windows 7 image deployed on partition g instead of c

I have an image of a Windows 7 partition and for some reason when I deploy it, the resulting Windows 7 partition uses the letter g instead of c. 

Why does this happen?

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Windows drive letters are fluid, they can change anytime. It does not have an affect on them. That is normal.
    After you reboot PC and boot into Windows, it should return to C.
  • What I meant was when I boot using that partition onto Windows 7 itself, the letter used is the G instead of C
  • Thank you for that clarification, Rm30. I would like to help you with this.
    1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM, UEFI-nonCSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) HDD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Hard Drive partition table MBR or GPT?
    5) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
    6) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    7) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol > det dis
    Thank you.

• 1) Legacy-BIOS
    2)No brand
    3)2 HDD, 1 SSD
    4)MBR
    5)Pro
    6)Windows 7 Ultimate
    7)
  • 2) Desktop FX6300
  • Thank you for the info. I see you have attached a photo, that is good, but for people who do not like to download attachments to their PC, could you please post the photo as a photo, instead of attaching it, thank you.
  • edited December 2023
    Ok guys, I think I finally discovered the problem, the Windows 7 image file is using the letter G: as a source partition letter. The problem is that I can't find a way of changing that source letter to C:, I've looked everywhere within the AOMEI Backupper app and couldn't find a way to do so.
  • @Rm30, Did you use AOMEI Backupper to restore the win7 system backup? According to your screenshot, it seems that there are two systems on the disk. Win7 and Win10?How did you install the double system?
  • edited December 2023
    There are 3 systems on my SSD, Win7, Win10 and Win11. I'm using EasyBCD to boot them and AOMEI Backupper to backup and restore these systems. Both Win10 ad Win11 images use the letter C as a source, only Win7's image is using the letter G as a source for some reason.
  • edited December 2023
    To change the os letter you would need to first use sysprep generalize. then boot into an different os ( or winpe ) and set the letter to whatever you want

then boot back into win7 for the setup phase
  • @Rm30, What error situation did you get when you manually modified the drive letter to C via Windows Disk Management?
    In addition, if the disk is MBR, how did you boot Win11? Generally, windows 11 needs to run based on GPTdisk (UEFI mode). 
  • edited December 2023
    Hi Admin, when I tried changing the Windows 7 partition from G to C the Disk Management basically said I couldn't do it because the G partition contained the system files.

I don't really know whether my SSD is MBR or not, how can I check that? All I know is that all 3 Windows versions boot fine from that ssd.
  • edited December 2023

I think Rm30 is saying the os letter is G

post a screenshot of msinfo32 

or at cmd prompt type:

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v PathName
    (then press enter)

and post a screenshot of the cmd window

• Hi guys, sorry for the delay, here's that screenshot:

• Here's another screenshot wihich might help:

• If you want to change the os letter to something else, see my post on this thread dated December 26