Home Storage General Discussion

Cloning large disk into small disk with exact sector

This post is categorized in Storage General Discussion.
Disk 1 2TB HDD GPT
Disk 2 1.9TB NVMe GPT
The data on Disk 1 has been accidentally formatted, and now I want to recover it. It is much faster for me to use my recovery software on the NVMe instead of HDD for speed. I want to clone all data that may fit from Disk 1 to Disk 2, I want to use Exact-Sector-By-Sector method. This means the last 0.1TB of Disk 1 will not be cloned, and that is OK, I don't need 100%.
I am not aware of a feature in BU or PA that can do this task. I am asking what other software, perhaps Linux software that can do this unusual task. Is there a way to do this in Linux GParted, Gnome Disks, DD, Clonezilla? Thank you.

Comments

• @AiArtisan, AOMEI Backupper and AOMEI Partition Assistant can't support Sector-By-Sector clone when the source disk is greater than the target disk. if there are multiple partitions on the source disk, maybe you can try to use Partition Clone (Sector-By-Sector clone) to clone partitions one by one. But, the last partition can't use the Sector-By-Sector clone way.
  • Thank Admin, I agree with that. I solved this problem by using Clonezilla > Expert > device to device > ICDS setting. It successfully copies the maximum portion of the beginning of the disk that the small target disk can hold. Then an error is received, and the program may be ended.