Home AOMEI Products Support

Booting from Allocated Dive after Windows 10 crash

My system crashed and was unable to boot.  It does not recognize the initial Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus now.
I also had a D: drive installed which when I was doing a boot-up from a Boot-able recovery USB drive I reinstalled Windows 10 onto that drive.
  When I open Partition Assistant I can see the Disk 0  (GPT) as the C:Windows-SSD and it boots from this with the new OS.
  It also shows Disk 1 (MGR) (this was the drive I was using to boot laptop when it crashed). I installed it in a USB case to see if I could fix it without loosing data on it, and possibly restore it to it's boot-able condition.
   It shows that Disk 1 is a Basic MBR dirve with 931.51GB(100% free) Unalllocated.
   If the check sectors I am finding some at about 10% into the drive and seems to stop at that area (after letting it run for 12 hrs.)

If I try to use Recover Data I suspect because it does not have a drive letter assigned it does not show for that process.
   If I try Partiton Recovery Wizard I does show Disk 1 - size - and Model.
   I am unsure what the next steps should be or if any is available. 
If it goes through this process will it allow me assign a drive letter?
By doing this will it loose any data that I had on the drive?

System:  Lenovo Legion M8N1NR35 , Intel 9th gen core 7, x64 based, BIOS UEFI, Secure Boot State- Off, 32GB memory

Any help greatly appreciated if possible:
    1. To make this SSD the bootable drive again for system.
And/Or
     2.  Saving this data even if I loose being able to boot from this drive.

Thank You

Comments

•  Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol
  • Thank you for your quick response. Hope this is what you are looking for.

GaryT

• edited October 2023
    "If I try Partiton Recovery Wizard I does show Disk 1 - size - and Model."
    Screenshot please.
    "It does not recognize the initial Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus now"
    Do you have a backup that you can restore from? Backupper can create full disk images so you can restore from crashes.
    "BIOS UEFI"
    I asked if you were using UEFI-CSM, or UEFI-nonCSM, those are significantly different modes.
    I do not know the cause of your crash. If you are an unlucky soul and have not backed up your disk, you can use PA, or other utilities to attempt to recover the disk. Before attempting any data recovery, you must first clone the entire disk using Exact-Sector-By-Sector method BEFORE doing any actions to the disk. Then, on the clone, you may attempt data recovery.
    If you decide you do not want any data from the disk, you may proceed with reinstalling Windows using USB. If you reinstall, please convert disk to GPT partition table, before putting any data on disk.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

Aomei WinPE Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    Download Windows 10 USB
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org
    160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. Put custom drivers, such as NVMe drivers, into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.
    Clonezilla - non-GUI cloning
    https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
    If the source disk has Bad Sectors, use Expert Mode > "-rescue" option to continue cloning all readable sectors
    Supergrub 2 - Boot Anything
    Recuva - Data Recovery
    Stellar Data Recovery
    https://www.stellarinfo.com/free-data-recovery.php

• I was able to run Check Partition and it went through a fast check this time. I have attached a screen shot showing number of bad sectors and location.
    Can I now assign a drive letter without losing and data there?

Not sure why the drive crashed.  I was downloading the software for the windows 11 upgrade but don't think it should have started an install.  Also we had some power issues, but I do have computer on backup power.  Unfortunately I do not have a current backup, but one with some data.

The computer shows it is using BIOS UEFI

I would like to see the data on the drive to determine if I need to restore all or some.
    Since the partition check finished, can I assign a drive letter to that drive without causing any problems. Do I need to try and backup or clone the drive before I do this?

I would like to try and get this drive to the point where I can again boot from it.

Thanks

• edited November 2023
    "I would like to see the data on the drive to determine if I need to restore all or some."
    If you want data recovery, follow my instructions above. First do a full disk clone to an empty disk with Exact-Sector method setting.
    "I would like to try and get this drive to the point where I can again boot from it."
    That is unlikely, and difficult. I would not make that your goal, you may be able to do it, but it will take a lot of work. I recommend data recovery only, then reinstall Windows on that disk, then restore your personal data.
    Make a full disk backup once per season. Also use a cloud service to backup once per year. If there is a fire or water damage on your physical disks, you can use your cloud backup. If you lose access to your cloud account, you can use your physical backup.
  • Thanks AiArtisan, Will work on it. FYI In Disk Part it shows online but can not access in Partition Assistant . In Disk Management shows drive but says I need to Initialize Drive, but gives error when I try. "Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Will try and clone drive before I do much work on it if I can. Will get back on any status here if I figure something out. Thanks again.
  • edited November 2023
    "In Disk Part it shows online but can not access in Partition Assistant"
    PA allows you to clone a disk without a partition table, I tested it just now. BU does not do that though.
  • @GaryT, You can try to use PartitIon Recovery Wizard to scan the disk. if it scam some partitions, you can double-check scanned partitions to see if they include your data. If yes, you can tick the scanned partitions with your data to recover. So, it will recover these partitions on your disk. 
    If it doesn't scan any lost partitions, or these scanned partitions don't include your data, we are afraid that our software can't help you recover the data.