Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore image to new hardware boot issue

I am restoring image to Dell 3070 from old pc that is using MBR. Image is converted to GPT but PC still will not boot, can't find boot device. I am using restore to different location and universal restore checked. Any tips?
Tagged:

Comments

• Thank you, Chiman, I understand you want to restore an MBR image. An MBR image should be restored to an MBR disk, that is normally how that is done. MBR disks can boot in motherboards that have either UEFI-CSM, or Legacy-BIOS modes. Compatibility Support Module is for new motherboards, with old MBR disks. The newest motherboards usually have only UEFI-nonCSM mode, but some still have 1, 2, or all 3 modes.
    After you have successfully restored your image to an MBR disk, and bootup normally into windows, you could then decide to convert the disk to GPT with utilities, such as MBR2GPT, or Partition Assistant.
    1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM, UEFI-nonCSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) HDD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other?
    5) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    6) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol
    Thank you.

• New PC is Dell 3070 2018 , UEFI 
    Image is taken from Dell Optiplex 790
    SSD M2
    Aomei pro
    Windows 10 Pro

I am not able to boot to windows after restoring image, BIOS is not finding a boot device in UEFI or Legacy mode.
    Bios is starting repair but it is not successful.

• "Bios is starting repair but it is not successful."
    Screenshot please.
  • @Chiman, What system did you backup? Did you use system backup? or disk backup?
    Did you perform the restore via WinPE Bootable media?
    "Image is converted to GPT"---How did you convert it? 
    Could you boot from WinPE and then take a screenshot of disk list? so that we check the restored disk.
  • @Admin

WinPE don't see M2 SSD but it is visible in BIOS. Win PE detects only USB drive. I was using AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert to GPT.

• @aiArtisan

here is image you requested.

• If your PC has an M.2 SATA, or an M.2 NVMe, you may need to Load Driver in the repair utility you are using, so that it can see the drive.
    1) Download M.2 disk driver from manufacturer website.
    2) Open .exe driver file with 7zip.
    3) Copy folder to your USB repair utility
    4) Boot USB utility
    5) Load Driver disk file .INF
    6) Confirm disk is visible, then repair the problem
    If you are using Windows 10 or 11 installation USB, go to Install Windows page, then Load a compatible Driver, but do NOT delete any partitions, instead, cancel the installation, go back to main menu, and Repair the disk.
  • @aiArtisan I did used dell bios image repair and it completed successfully but pc still will not boot. Problem is that new PC will not boot from MBR and image is taken from PC that has MBR. Even if I convert drive on new PC to GPT, image restore will overwrite with MBR, and MBR is not visible as a boot option. 
  • @Chiman, "WinPE don't see M2 SSD but it is visible in BIOS."---If the SSD failed to be listed under WinPE, how did you restore backup to it?
    What system did you backup? Did you use system backup? or disk backup?
    If you do the restore successfully, please boot into WinPE, and take a screenshot of disk list so that we check. And, after restore, please still keep it as MBR to boot. When the restored system boot successfully, then you can try to convert it to GPT again.