Home AOMEI Products Support

Partition Assistant: How long does a partition resize take in preOS Mode?

I have set 2 partition resizes in PreOS mode as Window mode failed the first time. I had previously only worked in the Windows mode. Now, it has been 45 minutes and everything is at 0%. The partitions are being resized from 8 to 9 TB and another from 4 to 6 TB. I really hope that some that I have read here is not so, and I won't have my computer held hostage for days by this process and that there will not be any true update on my screen. How long should this process take? Will the program actually complete when it is done or will it just hang? (I have read of people rebooting after the the progress black screen hung, only to find the process had completed and the program did not notify the user)? Will I loss my data if I interrupt this process? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• It has now been many hours and still stuck at 0%.
  •      Hello Mario, I understand you wanted to resize, and choose to use Partition Assistant to do that, but it seems stuck now.
         When you are using the Partition Assistant application in a normal Windows, and you are using it to resize a partition, it will ask you to choose WinPE mode, or PreOS mode. Aomei Support recommends to pick WinPE mode.
    I own PA Professional, great software, but resizing a partition is faster and more reliable using Disk Management in my opinion. For advanced partition resizes under less common circumstances, you could use PA in application mode, or in USB mode.
    I hope I have helped advise you the next time you need to resize, and for your current 0% stuck error, could you please post answers to the following?
    1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM, UEFI-nonCSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) HDD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Hard Drive partition table MBR or GPT?
    5) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other?
    6) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    7) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol
    Thank you.

• @Marioaome, Have you completed the operations now?