Home AOMEI Products Support

Does latest edition of AOMEI Backerupper (7.3.2) require a technician license to restore sysres????

The latest release (7.3.2) of AOMEI Backerupper seems to require a technician license to restore the sysres drive, So does that mean that now backups are free but restores require a hefty fee???
Tagged:

Comments

• I should have stipulated: it appears to me that if you use AOMEI Backerupper free Standard Edition to backup a hard drive and you subsequently lose that drive, you now have to either (1) buy the $300 professional edition to do your own restore, or (2) pay a technician who has a license for the professional edition to do the restore for you

That was not the case before now.

Luckily I've never had to do a restore, but it appears I need to find a different (free) backup program quickly because I don't happen to know a technician I'd trust to do that for me.

• @WayneC, The free edition can free perform restore. Please try again and take screenshots so that we check. Please download and install standard from here: https://www2.aomeisoftware.com/download/adb/AOMEIBackupperStd.exe
  • Here is a screenshot of what I see in the latest free version of AOMEI Backerupper Standard when I click on Tools/Create Portable Version to create a USB drive to use in the event I lose my sysres disk and need to restore it from a backup image taken previously. If there is another way I can accomplish restoring a sysres backup image (stored on one of my other hard drives) to my sysres hard drive, please tell me how to do that.
  • screenshot
  • Had some difficulty figuring out how to attach my screenshot, here it is
  • Had some difficulty figuring out how to attach my screenshot, here it is
  • obviously I am still having a problem posting a comment and screenshot in same post
  • I give up, how in the world do you post a screenshot????
  • Well, I finally got my screenshot into a reply, don't understand why I had so much difficulty doing that. It's late at night, and I'm an old guy.

If make a backup copy of my sysres hard drive, I need to be able to restore it in the event that drive fails.
    (I'm just a home user, I'm certainly not going to pay $500 or more for a technician's license, it would be cheaper to hire a technician)
  • edited October 2023
    Thank you Wayne, on Backupper free edition, you can click the Restore button > select your backup image .ADI file you made earlier > tell program which disk you want erased and restored.
    "I click on Tools/Create Portable Version to create a USB drive"
    In your screenshot, it says you were attempting to use the Portable version, that is for advanced users only, please do not push the Portable version button. If you want to create a USB version of BU, you can use the normal WinPE USB version, that is free, click Create USB. After you have succeeded at that, you can create Aomei's USB Builder, that has more tools.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Aomei WinPE Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.

• I'm sorry, I lost you at "click Create USB" ...did you mean to click the button "Windows PE - Create bootable disc based on Windows PE" (below) and click box beside the "Download WinPE creating environment from internet", then the "Next" button? 

Can I assume this creates a bootable operating system which you can then boot to run a Windows operating system on the computer, and from there you can restore the most recent sysres backup image you previously stored with AOMEI Backeruppper? Will it create a USB stick, or will it only create a DVD disc?

• I created a bootable AOMEI BackerUpper on a USB drive for test purposes, but when I tested it by booting my computer with that USB drive in a USB slot, nothing ever came up on my screen. USB contents shown below...

• Here is the contents of the USB drive I created with AOMEI Backerupper on it
  • here are the properties of the USB drive

• The AOMEI screen says "Create bootable disc based on Windows PE" ...it does not say the user needs to put boot records on it. It does say "disc" but I assumed I can use a USB drive, does your utility require a CD?
  • edited October 2023
    Wayne, did you remember to push the temporary boot key? Every brand has a different key to push during PC start, or it will only boot your Windows.
    Backupper Manual
    https://www.aomeitech.com/docs/AOMEI_Backupper_UserManual.pdf

• Thanks for your reply. I'm an old guy, apparently I must have done something wrong when I created the USB drive. My computer is home-built, with an MSI Z97 motherboard. It does not have any alternate boot keys; before it boots the hard drive it will boot any USB port that has a bootable device inserted. Give me a day or two to play with rebuilding the USB stick, its not something I do often, not even once a year.
  • Most likely your USB stick is fine. According to the chart, for an MSI motherboard, please press F11 key during PC boot, or Fn key and F11 key at the same time. If that does not work, please try the UEFI key, which is F2, or Fn and F2 at the same time, or Delete key.
  • @WayneC, If the WinPE bootable media still can't boot, please try to download and install Windows ADK and Windows PE Addon. After that, please try to create WinPE by unchecking the option: Download WinPE creating environment....
    As for downloading and installing Windows ADK and Windows PE Addon, please refer to here:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install