Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore Reassigned Drive Letters

I when I did a restore of a back, my PC couldn't reboot due to no boot drive found.  I used AOMEI Partition Assistant 10.2.0 to create a bootable USB to check.  I found the my boot drive had been reassigned a drive letter of G and my C drive was now just basic storage disk.  I tried to reassign the drives which the program stated the taste was completed successfully.  When I rebooted, the drive letters were back the way they were from the restore:

• Question 1:  Why did the restore reassign the drive letters?

• Question 2:  Why didn't the changes I made with AOMEI Partition Assistant work?

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Thank you Sms. Several things here. Drive letters are fluid, they are not permanent, each OS you are in gets to decide whatever drive letters it wants, so do not worry about that. When you restore a backup image, they may not always work due to many factors. The source and destination settings must match, including: motherboard mode and partition table type. You could try the classic commands below, or you could also try LazeSoft boot repair tool.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Bcdboot <Letter>:/Windows
    Advanced instructions:
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508
    Please reply with answers to the follow for both source and destination PCs:

1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM, UEFI-nonCSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) HDD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Hard Drive partition table MBR or GPT?
    5) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other?
    6) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    7) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol

Aomei WinPE 2.0 Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    LazeSoft - Windows boot repair

• @Sms1295, Did you use AOMEI Backupper to do the restore? System restore? or Disk restore? Please take a screenshot of Partition Assistant under WinPE so that we check your disks.