Home AOMEI Products Support

Keeping it simple - can I just use disk backup to protect against hardware failure?

So I like to keep life simple and was wondering to protect my data on a pc in the event of total hardware failure can I just do a disk back up and restore the data to a new similar machine (same os windows 10 and same or larger sdd)

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Hello Mancunian, you may use Backupper (BU) to migrate to a new PC by creating a backup image, then restoring that image. You could use the Universal Restore setting for maximum compatibility to your new PC. Restoring will erase all data on the destination PC.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

• Thank you for your help
  • Don't waste time doing backups of your hard drives, as it backs up all the other crap within. The best way to do a backup is to do it manually. Here's how to do it ..... go into the folder settings and enable " show hidden files and folders ". Now open up File Explorer and go to the drive that needs backing up. Only select all folders and files that you have created or added to that drive, then copy them to a spare drive or USB data stick. Once you have done this, go ahead and format the drive. Once formatted you will only see a hidden file created by windows called " system information folder ". Now go ahead and transfer all the folders and files that you backed up. Now you have a proper and clean backup of the drive. That's it ! And if your drives were disappearing and reappearing before, they will stop doing that as well. Believe me this all works very well. Cheers and good luck. I personally hate wasting time on suggested methods that really don't work.
  • Mancunian, how you backup your PC depends on what is important to you. If only your files are important, then only back those up. If you are a productive person, and you value your time, then you should use a great free application such as Backupper, that will save your files, but also your windows settings, application settings, product activations, folder locations, saved games, bookmarks, passwords. If your life and time matters to you, then use Backupper.
    Backups are important, however, you could take a different path when it comes time for a migration. If you have a clean, fast, bug-free system, then you could restore your new PC from a backup. However, if you have a messy, slow, buggy system, then you probably should backup only your personal files, export data out of applications, such as bookmarks, passwords, saved games, photos, data. Then copy the data to your new PC, and use a fresh system.