Home AOMEI Products Support

Is the backup encrypted?

Are you sure the backup is encrypted when you set "Enable encryption for backup" is it not only password protected? Based on our tests (Version 7.3.2), there is only minimal difference between encrypted and unencrypted backups, so we think something is wrong. Is it an existing bug that will be fixed?

Comments

• "Based on our tests"
    Could you please post a screenshot of your tests, showing that there is a problem? We would like to hear about it, thank you.

• Aomei Admin, I did read in the past of the type of encryption used in BU encrypted backups, but I forgot where that info was. Admin, could you please post a link to the website or BU manual page that lists the encryption scheme type again? Thank you.
  • Here are the two test files in the zipped file. The password is "Encrypt". Compare the two files and you will see how little the difference is. In addition, the names of the files can be clearly read in the backup files.
  • @Ervin, When you enable encryption for your backup, it will require a password when you manually do the backup, restore or explore backup image. 
  • The question is whether the backup file is encrypted or not. Why are the two backup files (encrypted and unencrypted) so identical?
    Does choosing encryption only mean that the file will be password protected?
  • @Ervin, Does choosing encryption only mean that the file will be password protected?---Yes. When you enable encryption, no one can restore data from your backup image file without a password.
  • @admin, Password protection does not mean that the backup is encrypted. The contents of the file can be read even with a simple text editor.

The original file contains one word:

The "encrypted" backup file contents contains the original files content as plain text.

This is not encryption. This feature is a simple password protection with a misleading name.
  • edited October 2023
    Thank you Ervin, I have confirmed this on my Windows 11, BU 7.3.2 Pro. I created 7 text files, did an encrypted file backup with BU, then changed file extension .AFI to .TXT, and half of the files were encrypted, half of them were not. I Have posted photos of the files with the encrypted failed.
    According to
    Backupper uses AES grade encryption, but we can see this is not working.
    Aomei, please create encryption in your backups, submit your code to a 3rd party company for rigorous testing and certification, and post the results and certification on your website, thank you.
    Steps:
    1) Text file.txt created, with 1 word "Kitty".
    2) Backupper file backup with encryption enabled.
    3) .AFI image created, copied, converted to .txt file
    4) Windows Notepad easily displays content of backup in plaintext unencrypted form.

4b) An example of another file backup with encryption that did not work:

• bjmbjm
    edited November 2023
    Hello
    We're curious what ever happened with this issue.
    Has there been a fix? 
    Is the backup encrypted? 
  • Create a test and post your results.
  • I was considering Aomei until I read this thread.
    So, Backupper does not totally encrypt all data in the image?

[quote]The password is used as a key by the industry-standard AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) cryptographic algorithm, which will totally encrypt all data in the image.[/quote]
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/encryption.html

• I would like an reputable organization to do an independent audit of Backupper, and display professional testing to answer that question.
  • bjmbjm
    edited November 2023
    Have you sent your request to [email protected]

Are these boards primarily user-to-user help?
    Are these boards monitored by Aomei staff?

What does 
    Unknown column 'Active' in 'field list' mean?

Yikes, this message editor is giving me grief. 
    Hope Aomei products work better that their Forums platform message editor.
  • When you create the backup, it will generate the backup image file. The image file is actually encrypted by default. 
    When you enable "encryption" during the creating task, the password is an additional verification mechanism for the backup image file and backup task. When you need to operation the task or restore the backup image file, you need to type into the password.
  • No explanation from support@ why users report only minimal difference between encrypted and unencrypted backups,
  • @Bjm, Please try to create backup for a slightly larger file and then check it again.
  • Admin, are you confirming Backupper Encryption does not work for small files?
  • We will optimize the backup encryption for the backup of a single file less than smaller than 256K.
  • edited November 2023
    Admin, are you confirming Backupper Encryption does not currently work for single files less than 256K?
  • I played around with this using my own .txt test file in 7.3.3 and could only see the path directory, not what is inside .txt.