Home AOMEI Products Support

How move from win 10 on old laptop to win 11 on a new one

Is there any description of how to move from win10 on an old laptop to a new one with win11 using AOMEI Backupper?
/hans peter

Comments

• I have come to the following conclusion on my own:

If I want to transfer installed software, games, applications, and personal files, I have to make a DISK BACKUP on my old machine (which will then also contain the Win10 operating system). I put that backup on an external hard drive. I then connect this to my new machine and choose Restore > Select task (alternatively > Select imagefile) and follow
    Since I haven't tried this yet in real life, I hope it works out.

However, I have a couple of thoughts:
    1) isn't there now suddenly both Win10 AND Win11 on my new machine and
    2) what else happens to the data that was originally on the hard drive in the new machine?

Grateful for answers.
    /hans peter

• edited September 2023
    When you restore a Backupper (BU) .ADI image file to a new disk, it erases all current data on the target disk. What is your goal for your target disk? If you only want Windows 10 on your target disk, then that will work. If you want to dual boot Windows 10 & 11 on the same PC, then instead you could use partition backup > restore, or disk backup > restore 1 partition only. You will likely need to shrink your target disk current partition prior to restoration of Windows 10. If you need to shrink a partition, I recommend Disk Management diskmgmt.msc or Diskpart, because it is faster than Partition Assistant (PA).
    If you decide to put 2 installations of Windows on 1 PC, in many cases after setup, you will have to include both in the BCD blue boot menu. You could do this by booting into your current Windows 11 > msconfig > manage boot options. Or you could Boot to a Windows USB utility, such as Hirens > EasyBCD > add new boot option. Or you could use Windows USB > repair > startup repair.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

Aomei WinPE 2.0 Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    LazeSoft - Windows boot repair
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite
    160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. To add custom drivers, such as NVMe, simply put them into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org

• Thank you, AiArtisan, very much for the comprehensive answer. The most important thing for me was already in your first sentence:
    When you restore a Backupper (BU).ADI image file to a new disk, it erases all current data on the target disk.
    This means in practice that you have to transfer "by hand" what you wish to take with you from your old PC (if you also want to keep what is on the new PC). In other words, AOMEI Backupper cannot easily help me move the desired installed software, applications and personal files. I have to do it myself.
    KInd regards
    /hans peter
  • edited September 2023
    What is your goal for your target disk? If you want to dual boot Windows 10 & 11 on the same PC, then you could restore 1 partition from your backup image, instead of the whole disk. You will likely need to shrink your target disk current partition prior to restoration of Windows 10. If you need to shrink a partition, I recommend Disk Management diskmgmt.msc or Diskpart, because it is faster than Partition Assistant (PA).
    If you decide to put 2 installations of Windows on 1 PC, in many cases after setup, you will have to include both in the BCD dual boot menu. You could do this by booting into your current Windows 11 > msconfig > manage boot options. Or you could Boot to a Windows USB utility, such as Hirens > EasyBCD > add new boot option. Or you could use Windows USB > repair > startup repair.

• If, as I suspect, you want only WIN11 on your new laptop then I think your best way is to save only your data folders from your old laptop to an external portable HD, connected via USB. Then re-install the applications you want one by one to the new laptop and then restore your data to the new laptop. The latter can be done by simply copying over the folders containing your data from the external HD to your new laptop, linked again via USB.
    You wouldn't actually need Backupper to do this.
    That way you get a fresh install of all your applications under WIN11, which may improve their responsiveness.