Home AOMEI Products Support

how to add drivers for ASUS X515 to Windows PE

The asus laptop has two drives NVME and SSD but the restore environment does not see them.
I assume the drivers are missing,
So are the wireless drivers so trying to install drivers from the internet and restore from Windows PE does not work either.

I know I can add drivers when creating the restore disk but I need the drivers first. I have no idea how to find them.
I do have backup of the windows 11 running on this asus. Can I extract them from there?

How could I approach fixing it.
As it is, the laptop is as good as dead :(
Tagged:

Comments

• linux environment does not boot at all
  • edited September 2023
    Hello Kisiel, thank you for your driver question. Backupper (BU), and Partition Assistant (PA) today do come with some NVMe drivers that can work on many PCs with NVMe disks, and for disks that it does not have the driver for, please go to Google Search > model # drivers > download Windows 11 driver for NVMe that came with your motherboard. Download .INF driver file, or if they do not have raw driver, you can download driver installation file .Exe > use 7zip to extract .Exe > copy .INF driver file. In BU, PA, add driver, select .INF file.
    BU, PA natively support all external NVMe disks.
    The Linux version has not been updated in over 6 years, please do not use that.
    Could you please tell us why the PC is entering a recovery environment?
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

Aomei WinPE 2.0 Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite
    160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. To add custom drivers, such as NVMe, simply put them into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org

• the plan was to migrate Windows 10 from an old (MBR) machine to a new laptop
    I made backup of the Win11 from a new machine
    I made backup of the old Win10 from an old one
    I restored Win10 in a new one but as MBR it did not boot
    I bought the pro version of Backupper and re-created Backupper USB to try restoring with MBR2GPT conversion
    and here a surprise. Now I don't even see the drives I wan to restore to
  • @AiArtisan
    unfortunately any driver I am able to download, even if I can extract the content with 7zip, does not seem to have any inf file inside
  • edited September 2023
    Windows 11 only supports GPT disks, not MBR disks. Backupper (BU), and Partition Assistant (PA) today do come with some NVMe drivers that can work on many PCs with NVMe disks, and for disks that it does not have the driver for, please go to Google Search > X515 drivers > download Windows 11 driver for NVMe that came with your motherboard. Download .INF driver file, or if they do not have raw driver, you can download driver installation file .Exe > use 7zip to extract .Exe > copy .INF driver file. In BU, PA, or Hirens, add driver, select .INF file.

• @aiArtisan
    That's why I decided to put paid version of Backupper, but so far no luck
  • @Kisiel, Did you create the WinPE USB on the old computer? or the new one?
    Please try to re-create the WinPE USB on the new computer. Generally, it will integrate the drives of the computer.
    When you create the WinPE, please check if it checks "Download WinPE creating environment...". If yes, please try to download and install Windows ADK and Windows PE Addon. After that, please try to create WinPE with uncheck the option.
    As for downloading and installing Windows ADK and Windows PE Addon, please refer to here:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install