Home AOMEI Products Support

Which AOMEI Backupper to purchase for disk clone purposes in order to setup 2 identical servers?

I would like to set up an exact duplicate server. Currently I have a Dell rack server and would like to clone its entire operating system (Windows Server 2019) along with all of its applications, files and folders in order to set up this second one (just bought it from Dell with the same specifications). Which disk clone AOMEI Backupper should I buy? My plan is to switch back and forth routinely between the 2 servers for business continuity reasons.

Comments

• Hello Hugh, welcome to the wonderful world of Aomei products. I understand you are wanting to know which BackUpper (BU) product tier is the best for your needs. The best place to get an answer to that question is to email them at [email protected].
  • @HughTexas, You might need to purchase AOMEI Backupper Server edition, which supports the server system. You need to install AOMEI Backupper Server on the old server, then create disk backup for the boot disk. And, you can create a WinPE bootable USB of AOMEI Backupper server, then boot the new server from WinPE USB to universal restore the backup image.
  • Thanks Admin. I'll purchase the BU Server edition.
    Am i understanding correctly that there's no need to setup the network/configure the new server prior to booting this new sever with the WinPE bootable USB?
    Please correct these steps if incorrect: 1. Once purchased, download and install AOMEI BU server edition on the old server. 2. Back up the old server to an external disk via Disk Backup. 3. Create WinPE bootable USB of AOMEI BU server. 4. Boot the new server from WinPE USB to restore the backup.
  • edited September 2023
    Hello Hugh, I'm sure the Admin will answer your question. Could I point out 1 detail, when you were repeating the steps to take, you forgot to include the Universal Restore setting, that the Admin recommended. That setting is usually used when restoring a backup image to a computer with dissimilar hardware, or UEFI settings.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Aomei WinPE 2.0 Builder USB:
    Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, diskmgmt.msc. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    Aomei Free Downloads
    Uninstall application to get 50% off Paid Version
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Clonezilla - non-GUI cloning
    https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
    If the source disk has Bad Sectors, use Expert Mode > "-rescue" option to continue cloning all readable sectors

• @HughTexas, Yes. The steps are correct. When you do the restore, please check "Universal Restore" option.
  • I did select "Universal Restore". The new computer won't boot. Could it be MBR?GPT issue? The restored disk is MBR. My new computer is GPT. How to convert MBR to GPT on the restored disk without losing data? 
  • edited September 2023
    Please post screenshot from Partition Assistant (PA), and also from Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol.
  • @HughTexas, Please try to use AOMEI PEBuilder to create the WinPE bootable media: 
    http://www2.aomeisoftware.com/download/pe/2.0/full/PEBuilder.exe
    After that, please boot the new computer from the WinPE, then run AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert the disk from MBR to GPT. And then, you might need to universal restore the disk backup again. When you do the restore, please don't click "Yes" to convert the disk to the same type (MBR) as the source during the restore.

• Hi AiArtisan and admin,
    I followed directions given however no success yet. I took a screenshot of the diskpart per AiArtisan's request.
    These are steps I took:
    1. Use AOMEI BU to run System Backup on my old PER540 (this server runs OS Windows server 2019)
    2. Used AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert the disk from MBR to GPT
    3. Created AOMEI Boot USB
    4. Used Boot USB and restored System Backup on new PER550 (this brand new server was also running OS Windows server 2019). After restore it failed to boot now. See very the very last photo for details.
    What did I miss? I would greatly appreciate your help.
  • Thank you for your Diskpart screenshot, but you forgot 1 of the commands, " lis par ". Please retake the screenshot with all the commands, thank you.
    Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > lis par > lis vol.

• Sorry I had to re-install the OS Windows Server 2019 after it failed to boot
  • @HughTexas, According to the screenshot, you use the partition restore way to restore C: drive only. You should need to restore the whole system backup (three partitions). You might need to delete all partitions on Disk 0, and then restore the whole system backup to here.