Home Storage Guides, Tricks and Tips

Reusing old nvme

Hello,

I recently upgraded my nvme on my desktop. When I try to access the old nvme over a USB I get errors 'Incorrect Function'. The old nvme works perfectly when installed on the motherboard. I have done the basics (checking the enclosure, updating driver etc etc). Wanted to know how I can reuse the old Nvme over USB

Thanks

Comments

• Please confirm the M.2 disk is compatible with M.2 reader.
    M.2 SATA, M.2 NVMe
    B, M, or B&M key?
  • edited August 2023
     SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State 
  • SABRENT USB 3.2 10Gbps Type C Tool Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs (EC-SNVE) is the reader
  •  SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive  is the disk
  • edited August 2023
    Your disk appears to be
    5 pins = M Key

Your Reader appears to be
    M, B+M Key
    Both SATA and NVME in sizes: 2230/2242/2260/2280.
    In theory your disk and reader should be compatible.
    1) Please plug external disk into another working PC that is new.
    2) Confirm your disk is initialized with a partition table GPT, using Partition Assistant (PA), or Cmd > Diskpart > lis dis. If either of these report it does not have partition table type GPT, then it either means you have older type MBR, or it is uninitialized. Post screenshot of disk from both of these please. Reinitializing, creating new partition table on your disk will erase all data on disk. Examining your partition table status will not erase data.
    3) Use another reader, perhaps one that is designed for only NVMe.
    4) Create a new local non-MS Windows User > change to Admin > check if detectable
    5) Perform all required & optional Windows Updates.
    6) Download proprietary driver from Samsung website.
    7) Update UEFI, but first backup all your files to external disk or cloud, and print your 50 digit Bitlocker Recovery Key.
    8) Swap USB cable.
    9) Use different USB port.