Home AOMEI Products Support

Using Backupper with Multiboot Systems

If the following is flawed or incorrect I apologise in advance, but it works for me!

In a multiboot Windows setup a single EFI partition contains the bootloader for every system on the disk.  You can verify this graphically with Aomei Partition Assistant or Disk Manager.

To become bootable after a restore, multiboot system partitions must be backed up individually using Backupper in partition mode, not system backup mode. Exact sector by sector mode must also be used. These backup steps are critical for successful multiboot outcomes.

A multiboot partition backed up using Backupper in 'system mode' (instead of partition mode) will create a superfluous EFI partition on the disk when restored.  This partition is messy to correctly identify and delete which can lead to the entire system becoming unbootable.  

Backupper's popup screen banner suggests that you may want to use system backup instead of partition backup to ensure bootability.  This is correct advice but only for conventional single boot systems and is a trap for the inexperienced multibooter. In this case ignore the banner and go with the partition backup option, but don't forget to also select sector by sector/Exact mode for your backup.  This way your disk will not become sprinkled with numerous useless and confusing EFI partitions.

Tip
Prior attempting to backup/restore your multiboot system, create a standby clone of your disk as a last resort fallback. In Backupper always use Sector by Sector/Exact mode for every multiboot backup.  Be mindful that succesful multibooting relies heavily on precise sector data alignment between the EFI bootloader data and the system data on adjacent partitions.  This principle always requires sector by sector backup.

Backupper is a very nice reliable backup tool and it's free.  However its usability could be enhanced with little effort to eliminate potential misinformation with reference to multiboot users.

I also recommend EasyBCD and iReboot as very useful and cool multiboot tools for your PC..

Happy Multibooting 

(Basic GPT 1TB NVMe Samsung 990 Pro, Win10 + 11 + 11 debloated, Lenovo Ideapad)

Comments