Home AOMEI Products Support

Clone Disk failure, 2nd disc no longer works.

I own AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro 9.5, and am running my PC on Windows 10. After slimming down my main 1TB hard drive, I tried to move it to a smaller 500gb SSD with available space via "Clone disk quickly". After what felt like a bit over an hour, the green progress bars still hadn't moved past just short of halfway, though the %s were still changing so it seemed to still be working. The clone did fail though. What happened after is what has be baffled. Opening AOMEI again had an exclamation point by my SSD saying it was it's "health status is bad", and the ~500 GB appeared to have only 600 MB of space when looking at it after. Trying to reformat it and reset it to its default did not change this. It is now labeled "system reserved". The SSD had only been briefly set up that same day so I could boot into it and make sure it worked, but otherwise had never been used. I don't understand how it could all of a sudden be in "bad health status", or why trying to reset it to device defaults won't seem to fix it. (Afterwards it remains 621 out of 635 MB free, System Reserved). AOMEI only recommends replacing it now. Both hard drives seemed to be in perfect health, and were initialized beforehand. Why would the cloning process fail, and Is there any way to make my SSD usable again?

Comments

• Screenshot
  • @Mothydude, Could you take some screenshots so that we check your disks further? And, please also offer the log folder under the installation directory of AOMEI Partiton Assistant.
  • On my PC my SSD shows up as "System Reserved". I tried reformatting it to its defaults to cut my losses and try moving my files without Aomei, but I can't anymore.

Aomei says it still has the space it should have, but now it says the disk is in "poor health".

At this point I'd just like to use my SSD again. I can't exactly spare the money for another (as I said, this one was fresh and had only been used that same day)

• edited July 2023
    Thank you for the screenshots. The small partition D System Reserved was likely successfully cloned, but the other partitions failed to clone, so you have that small one. If there was no damage to your original HDD source disk, please reinitialize the SSD target disk.
    Cmd > Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > cle > con mbr > exit
    # is the disk number of your SSD target disk. Then perform the clone again, with Aomei WinPE USB. You may use BU, PA, or PE Builder, all 3 can clone an MBR system disk, if you own the pro version.
    I understand that your SSD target disk reports that it has SMART failed health. Please confirm this in another application, in rare cases, a disk can have a false positive in SMART health test. If you confirm the SMART failed health  on the SSD in multiple applications or PCs, then you should return it and request a warranty replacement. It is not uncommon for new parts to fail in the first month. I understand you used PA on the SSD, and sooner after you received the SMART error, that is a hardware error, it is unlikely that a software caused a hardware error. It is more likely that it failed for other reasons, such as it being very new.
    Could you please reply with which type of SSD it is, 2.5" SATA, M.2 SATA, M.2 NVMe.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary.
    https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0 USB, includes: Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice. Does not support some internal NVMe disks, or other additional drivers.
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/make-a-bootable-usb-1004.html
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    Clonezilla - non-GUI cloning
    Disk Genius - application
    https://www.diskgenius.com

• @Mothydude, Except for temperature, one or more attributes are equal to or less than the threshold. The disk may be damaged soon and cause data loss. You can click "Details" of Disk Health to see specific S.M.A.R.T. values, red text indicates that the value of the item is equal to or exceeds the threshold.
  • Apparently this is the cause for the "bad" health. The health check doesn't show any damage.

After following the CMD prompt steps, the drive no longer shows up as a device attached to this computer. I'll try installing drivers from USB when I'm able.

The drive is 2.5" SATA

I'm mostly unsure what the "unused resered NAND blocks" means and if this can be fixed.

• @Mothydude, You may need to contact this SSD to try to understand the meaning of this value. Our program only displays the results based on the SMART value of the hard drive itself. Different SSD manufacturers have different definitions of SMART values.
  • Have Backupper Standard. Using Clone. Operation Summary is correct. Clicked Start Clone. Popup i-window requires OK or Edit Disk  Both cause Popup - Upgrade to Pro Features. Did not change Partitions. I left the existing option - Copy Without Resizing. STUCK! Standard lists clone as a feature!
  • edited September 2023
    Jgoodwyn, BU and PA free versions can clone MBR disk, or GPT data disk, but can't clone GPT system disk -- with Windows on it.
    To get GPT system disk with Windows from source disk to target disk, you must create disk backup first, then restore backup image file .ADI to target disk.