Home AOMEI Products Support

0xc0000428 Error after restoring a very new System

New Computer:
1 SSD (M.2PCIe 4.0)
i5 13600kf
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 Intel 1700 ATX - latest bios update
Backup: full System Backup of drive C:, image saved on Drive D
I created the bootable USB from my old PC which is running Win10 and aomei 6.9.0

Steps
I installed win 11 on a new PC
Made a backup with Aomei
For a test: Restored the system successfully (full system restore) with an USB stick from which I booted Aomei

Installed latest windows updates
Tried a few Mainboard Utilities and Programs from my mainboard manufacturer
(easy tune, system information viewer, rgb fusion, gigabyte control center)
Tried to restore the system 1 day after I restored it successfully
Error Code after booting: Signature of a file could not be verified, Code:0xc0000428

I posted this here because help would be great but also because I think this might be helpful to your tehcnicians, since I red in other topics they are trying to solve the problem.
The new PC has no Data on it (besides WIn11 and one Aomei Image file) and my old PC is still running, therefore I can try stuff on the new PC that might help finding the issue.

Comments

• edited May 2023
    “Alias”, you are trying to perform a System Restore, not a Disk Restore, of an .ADI file.

1) All of your post, is this only concerning 1 PC, is this correct? You backed up from PC A, and restored to PC A, is that correct?
    2) In the future, when mentioning an M.2 hard drive, please specify if it is a SSD M.2 SATA, or an SSD M.2 NVMe, those look the same, but are different.
    3) Unfortunately Backupper does not copy the Partition Table MBR/GPT during clone or backup image creation, which includes the Disk ID / UUID and Disk Signature. Before creating your backup image, Cmd > Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > uni dis , then copy Disk ID to a notepad. After restoring your backup, before you leave Backupper WinPE USB utility, please paste the Disk ID / UUID to the target disk Cmd > Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > uni dis id=# . Shutdown, remove Backupper stick, startup, see if that helps. If you want to avoid having to manually copy paste the Disk ID / UUID, you could instead us Partition Assistant > Exact-Sector-By-Sector clone setting, which will take hours.
    4) I created the bootable USB from my old PC which is running Win10 and aomei 6.9.0”
    Please recreate the USB stick using Backupper 7.2.1, or later version. Alternately, in the rare situation that you have an .ADI backup image created with the Backupper 6 version, and your source disk is not usable, and restoring with version 7.x after several attempts is unsuccessful, if you are out of options, you could use Hirens utility to restore with Backupper version 6.5.1, but that is not recommended.
    5) you could try to do the restore again, using “Universal Restore” setting. Normally this is only necessary when restoring to a target system with very different hardware than the source system, but you could try it.
    6) In your restore, which partition resize setting are you using, Fit, Copy, Manual?
    7) I understand this is a new PC, and almost certainly only has UEFI-nonCSM mode, but could you please go into your UEFI settings and confirm you are not in UEFI-CSM or Legacy BIOS mode?
    8) Please post a screenshot of the source disk from Partition Assistant
    9) Backupper Standard or Pro?

Free Tools not from Aomei
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite

160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. To add custom drivers, such as NVMe, simply put them into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org

LazeSoft - live USB boot repair

https://www.lazesoft.com

Ventoy - bootable USB Creator

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Diskpart: Disk ID UUID

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/uniqueid

• edited May 2023

1) correct, im talking about ONE Pc
    2) it is a M.2 NVMe
    3) You said "Before creating your backup image use cmd...." I cant access the system to create a new backup. Should I create a new backup from the bootable USB that backups the current non working partition?
    4) I will try to use a boot stick with aome 7.21
    5) Will try universal restore
    6) resize settings: I dont know where to change this. I just went into it again but I dont see any options. I think it is auto. At least I am not chanig anything
    7) "not in UEFI-CSM or Legacy BIOS mode?"
    I know these options from previous computers and I went through all BIOS options a few days ago to set the pc up. I dont remember any legacy bios options and I just searched "csm" and "legacy" in the bios itself and it showed 0 results (this bios lets you search for keywords)
    8) How do I start partition assisstant? Is it part of aomei or a windows tool?
    9) Backupper Pro - but I never activated it. Didnt see that it can be activated, I just downloaded it from where I always download my software, without reading.

Everything beyond that is too much work, it is easier to reinstall windows than playing around with partitioning stuff, as the PC is fresh anyways. I hope this error doesnt reoccur. I just thought I could help since I managed to restore the system one day ago without problems and since the new PC is not in use yet.

• Backupper WinPE USB:

Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.

https://www.ubackup.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

Partition Assistant WinPE USB:

Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.

https://www.diskpart.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

• @Alias, "Tried to restore the system 1 day after I restored it successfully"---Did you perform the system restore twice? Did you also restore the same system image via WinPE at the second time?
    Could you boot the system after you do the restore for the first time (For a test: Restored the system successfully (full system restore) with an USB stick from which I booted Aomei)?