Home AOMEI Products Support

Old PC to new PC

I have a SATA MBR installation on an old HP running current Windows 10 PRO.  I have cloned the SATA drive to an NVMe SSD drive using a usb enclosure connected to the old PC. The SSD came with the new system.  I initially did a System Clone, but was unable to boot.  Then I did a Disk to Disk Clone, which identified the MBR to GPT issue.  The clone was successful, but I am still getting the blue screen inaccessible boot device windows error when I put the SSD back into the new system and try to boot.  The BIOS on the new system does not seem to allow changing to a legacy MBR boot.  Old system is an HPE Pavillion Elite, new system is an HP Z2 G9 tower.
Tagged:

Comments

• @Hobbitt, Maybe you can try to create system/disk backup for the old PC, then universal restore to the new one.
    As for universal restore, please refer to: https://www.ubackup.com/help/how-to-operate-universal-restore.html
  • Thanks hobbs, several things here. Could you please post screenshots of your source disk, and destination disk, after your attempting cloning?

An update by Aomei recently, I forget if it was for Backupper or Partition Assistant, resolved similar boot-after-cloning issues you are referencing. Please reply with which version of Backupper or PA you are using.

On HP boot:

Esc - Boot list
    F1 - Sys info
    F2 - Sys Diag
    F9 - Boot list
    F10 - UEFI
    F11 - Recovery

Backupper disk clone does not copy the Partiton Table MBR/GPT, so if you want your destination disk to have a specific Partition Table MBR/GPT, you will have to manually set that ahead of time, for example with Diskpart utility. If you want a perfect disk to disk clone, that DOES copy the Partiton Table MBR/GPT, you must use Partition Assistant AND set it to do an exact / sector-by-sector clone which will take several hours. The Backupper disk clone exact sector-by-sector does not copy the Partition Table, it is a flaw in the program.

If you are still receiving boot errors, you could try HIrens Boot PE > LazeSoft or Easy BCD Boot.

Could you please reply with how old your old Windows Installation is? If you are cloning an old Windows 10 installation from like 10 years ago to a brand new PC from 2022, it's probably time to reinstall from scratch, which will clear out most of your junk.