Error attempting restore - AOMEI Backupper Standard

I am running Backupper Standard 6.5.0.  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.(10.0.19041 Build 19041)

I tried to do a partial restore today in order to verify that Backupper is running correctly.  I selected Restore and I got the "Loading..." followed by a dialog with an Unknown Error.  (I don't see a way to attach a file or I'd include a screen shot).  I tried again, same problem, then rebooted and tried again, with the same result.

Backupper has been running without errors and the afi files each night have data in them (size > 0).  The backup drive is a new WD Elements with 6.0 TB.  It was installed in early April.

I'm not sure what to do now, but I'm concerned whether my backups are safe.  Or useful.  Any suggestions?

More details here:
I installed AOMEI Backupper in mid-February, 2021 and setup 2 backups.  One is a File backup of the C\:Users folder and subfolders.  The other is of a disk with media (audio & video files) and is a partition backup.  I am not having any problems with the partition backup.

In early April I decided to get a bigger backup drive.  I also changed the hardware on my external medial drive (a larger capacity WD Passport).  I started by doing complete backups of each backup, then restart the incremental backups.  Today I went to check the backups, and planned to run WinMerge to spot verify that the backups were running correctly.  I was able to do this for the Partition backup.  But I kept getting this unknown error for the Users Backup.

Comments

  • @Descartes,Could you take a screenshot of the error message? And, please send us the log folder and crash.dmp file under the installation directory of AOMEI Backupper.
  • Information is enclosed. There was a second crash dump file (CrashABC.dmp) but I only included the earlier one from my last attempt to restore.  From the timestamp on CrashABC.dmp it appears it was generated sometime during an incremental backup.

    I also learned something else this morning that I don't understand but must have some relevance.  I originally had a backup called "External Media Backup".  When I transferred the audio / video files to a new physical disk, the computer mounted that disk to the J: instead of whatever mount point it had been using.  I tried to edit this backup, but kept getting an error message.  (The error = "Failed to access the backup source.  This may be because the backup source does not exist or its location has changed.")

    So I created a new backup (External Media Backup J) and figured that since I couldn't edit the old backup it wouldn't run.  However, I noticed that both of these backups were running.  While this made no sense, I decided to try to stop the old backup from running.  I wanted to keep it just in case I needed it some day.  The only way I could figure to stop "External Media Backup" from running was to go to the Microsoft Scheduler and disable it.  That's what I did.

    After I wrote you last night I went back to the scheduler and enabled the "External Media Backup.  This morning when I went to restore the  "Users Backup" AOMEI Backupper did not crash.

    Hopefully I explained this correctly and understandably.

    I don't need two backups running that do the same thing.  So perhaps I should just delete the old backup ("External Media Backup)?  On the other hand right now I'm a bit cautious about doing anything.

    Am I making any sense describing what is happening?


  •  @Descartes, "I selected Restore and I got the "Loading..." followed by a dialog with an Unknown Error. "---Did you select the backup task to restore? or manually browse and select the image file to restore?
    Did you save the partition backup and file backup on the same drive?
  • I select the Backup task to restore.

    But please note that once i enabled the MS Scheduler for another Backup task I was able to do the restore on this Backup.  I don't understand this at all.
  • @Descartes, It seems that the old task is invalid, then causes the problem. You should be able to manually select the image file to restore. 
  • I deleted the old task.  The one that replaced it has been working correctly.  I'll check again tomorrow to make sure that I can restore the Users backup (the one I was having trouble with).
  • What I did yesterday worked.  I don't know why, but the old backup task didn't run and I was able to try a partial restore of "User Backup".  I still have no idea why the old task (which couldn't be found when I tried to edit it because the files were now on a different mount point) was running in the first place.

    So you may close this ticket.  Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.