Home AOMEI Products Support

Is it possible to customize the KBE?

I just started looking at AOMEI and so far it's the easiest app to create a KBE by far.  

Adding apps and drivers is a snap.  There are some Windows customizations I'd like to make and I don't see any options to allow for this.  I couldn't find anything in the forums about it either.

Things I'd like to change are settings like disable IPv6, enable jumbo frames, add a script to the startup folder and a couple shortcuts to the desktop.  

Is any of this possible with AOMEI?

Thanks!

Comments

• Which product do you use to create KBE? It it AOMEI PE Builder?

• Yes, that's what I'm currently using

• This sounds very silly. But what is KBE referring to? Is it KBOX Boot Environment? The more information you give the better.

• You are correct.  I suppose "PE" is the correct term I should be using.  I just want to create a Win7 x64 bootable ISO with specific drivers installed.  This much I can already do with AOMEI PE Builder.  But the other customizations I mentioned in my first post are what I'm having difficulty with.  

I'd like to put some shortcuts on the desktop and configure the NIC for jumbo frames automatically.

Thanks!

• edited October 2014

If you only want bootable ISO, AOMEI PE Builder suppoerts creating bootable IOS but does not support creating bootable ISO with the customizations you mentioned.

If you want bootable USB or CD/DVD, you can do that. Add drivers and apps when creating. Boot the USB or CD/DVD. Then you will enter familiar Windows interface. You can create shorcuts or set NIC just like using Windows.

• I created a bootable USB drive.  It boots and loads windows great.  But any changes I make after booting are lost when I reboot.  Are you saying there's a way to (for example) boot to the USB drive, create a desktop shortcut and save the change so it's available upon next boot?

I did try modifying the boot.wim file on the USB drive with imagex (tool from MS).  After editing boot.wim and adding a few things like shortcuts the USB drive is no longer bootable.

• Sorry, I misundertand your need. You can't save changes to WinPE.

• That's ok.  The normal build process gets me everything I need.  I just wanted to create some desktop shortcuts so everything was on the desktop.  

One last problem I'm having is I need a program in the PE that will calculate MD5 sums.

I've tried fciv, md5.exe and md5sums.exe.  All of them fail with the error "this app was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)".

After doing some research this is either due to a missing dependency or could possibly be solved by running the app in compatability mode.  Neither of these is an option in the PE.

Do you happen to know of a command line md5 generator that will run?  It will be called by a script so I need something that doesn't have a GUI.

Thanks for your help!

• In case anyone else is looking for the same thing, I've found a md5 generator that works within the PE.  It's called md5deep.  It's all command line with no GUI and generates just the basic information with no unwanted detail.  Just the md5 and filename.

http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/

• Thank you so much for your feedback. It will hlep other whoe encounter the same issue.