Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei Windows PE Builder 2.0 and System Restore

Hi,
I have a Lenovo pc running windows 8.1 and I'm having problems running system restores.
Would I be able to run a system restore from my Aomei Windows PE Builder 2.0 ?

Comments

• Aomei Windows PE Builder 2.0 is a utility that creates a bootable rescue media that incorporates Aomei Backupper, Aomei Partition Assistant, plus a number of other tools in a bootable package.  It pretty much automates the WinPE creation process and is very handy to have around.  To answer your question, Yes you should be able to perform a system restore of previously created System or Disk Backups using the bootable media created with PE Builder 2.0.  You could also execute Aomei Backupper from the bootable media and create a current backup if you wanted to.  I always create my system images from within Windows and then use the rescue media created with PE Builder 2.0.  
  • @Klingard, What problems did you get when you do the system restores? Please give us a detailed description.
    And, yes, you can perform a system restore of previously created System or Disk Backups using the bootable media created with PE Builder 2.0.
  • Hi,
     Thank you all for your help.

On my first attempts at a system restore I received an error message "0x80070005".
     On the last attempt I ran the system restore whilst in safe mode but Ireceived the
     error  - "0X8007051a'.  On all attempts I had anti-virus software turned off. 

Apologies but can you please explain the procedure for "previously created System 
      or Disk Backups using the bootable media created with PE Builder 2.0." which you
      mentioned.  I'm still a novice at using PE builder !
      Thanks.
  • Hi,
     Just been experimenting with Aomei Backupper.  I see that I would be able to 
     perform a "system backup" .   When I attempt to "back up the source data to the
     location below" I receive the message "The disc space may be insufficient".
     The size (used) of the partitions on pc are as follows :  
      *:winre-drv    466 MB
      *:system.drv    33 MB
        C:                  61 GB  
      On the Advance settings I've set the Compression tab to 'High'.

Can you give me an idea of the size of the back up media required
      for this specified system backup ?

Thanks.

• @klingard, To perform a system restore with rescue media created with Aomei PE Builder 2.0 you have to boot your computer up on the rescue media.  Once your machine boots up you should see an icon for Backupper and Partition Assistant (if installed).  Then you need to launch Backupper and select the option to restore the previously created backup.  You may have to search for the backup on whichever disk where it is stored.  Then from there you follow the prompts for restoring the backup.
  • @Klingard,
    "On my first attempts at a system restore I received an error message "0x80070005".
     On the last attempt I ran the system restore whilst in safe mode but Ireceived the
     error  - "0X8007051a'.  On all attempts I had anti-virus software turned off. "
    ---Did you use AOMEI Backupper to create the system backup and then do the restore? Did you mean that the restored system can't boot?
    "previously created System 
      or Disk Backups using the bootable media created with PE Builder 2.0."---If you have created backup via AOMEI Backupper, if there is no system on your computer, you can boot the computer from the WinPE bootable media created by AOMEI Backupper or AOMEI PE Builder, then  restore the backup.
    ""The disc space may be insufficient"."---Where did you save the backup to? How big is the target location? Based on your data, the system backup might be 20gb or so. Generally, before backup, the program will estimate the backup size based on your data and detect the free space of the target drive.
  • Thank you Vbbritt I found that post quite useful.

Apologies I did not make it clear - the system restores I refer to (which failed) were Microsoft  windows system 
     restores.The PE Builder solution would be ideal as an alternative way to perform a system restore in this
     situation.
     Thank you for explaining the procedure for "previously created System or Disk Backups using the bootable
     media created with PE Builder 2.0."  I understand this now.
     "20gb for the system backup - guess I'll need to purchase an external hard drive.
     Thanks for all your help.