Home AOMEI Products Support

Create Image of Bootable USB

Hi ....

using Backupper Standard 2.0.2 FREE edition, how can I create a bootable image file from a bootable USB drive.

I have already used Backup >>>> "DISK OR Partition" option but the boot sector was not copied when i did restore on the different USB drive.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• You can try Disk Clone the bootable USB drive to another different USB drive.

•  We will release the version that can run on USB stick. Please keep following our product

• edited October 2014

I have tried all the options, "Disk Clone", "Disk Backup" .... etc. still having issue to duplicate bootable USB key. It backs up all the folders and files, but the boot sector. Therefore, the restore is never bootable.   I used another software that works, but it does not have "Intelligent Sector Backup" feature. 

Is there an option needs to be set?

Your kind help highly appreciated.

• Please try this:run bootable USB drive as OS of computer;install Backupper;do System Backup.

• edited October 2014

The advice to run the bootable drive as the OS and then use Backupper would only work if the USB drive is actually running Windows.  Mine aren't running Windows but another boot loader - so installing BUP is not an option. I've had similar issues with the MBR's not being backed up - with several nackup utils, not just Backupper.

The OP might want to use Bootice, this can backup and restore the MBR.  Not as elegant as a single software solution but it works.

• Could you please tell us how you create the bootable USB drive?

• edited October 2014

I happen to use Grub4Dos for bootable USB drive. I then install Easy2Boot scripts (http://www.easy2boot.com/) so that I am able to boot in to many ISOs.  I have several Linux and Win PE ISOs I use.  Grub4Dos is easy enough to restore to the MBR but the thing is tha AOEMI is simply NOT backing up or restoring the MBR on USB drive and it also seems HDDs as well.

I have also experimented this morning with a full Windows 8.1 64 bit legacy / MBR installation I was testing with.  I did a system backup it up with AOEMI and then blew all the OS parititons away.  I rebooted and restored the system backup.  It TOO failed to restore the MBR.  I had to insert the installation CD and do a repair.

So it appears that AOEMI is simply NOT backing up or at least restoring the MBR on legacy / MBR systems. 

I have done the same on the very same PC with WIndows 8.1 64 with UEFI / GPT boot and it seems to restore just fine - as long as you boot from the Windows PE in UEFI mode first to do the restoration.

This - along with the inability to fit a system restore back into the same disk or partition space (as is reported on a few other posts in theis forum) need to be addressed quickly.  This is simply not acceptable. 

I bought both the PRO verions of Backupper and Parition Assistant so I have some investment in this sisue.

• Thanks Rootman for the details.

I am doing similar stuff as you, and getting the same results. It is pretty frusturting to go through all the procedures and the end result is: 'Boot Failure'.

• Hi to all,

What the error message is when you boot from the restored disk? Or could you please take a picture of the message? So we can analyze the problem.

In addition, please note that if you backup a legacy/MBR system,you must restore it to a MBR disk, so if your target disk is a GPT disk, you need to first convert it to MBR.

• I have done the same on the very same PC with WIndows 8.1 64 with UEFI / GPT boot and it seems to restore just fine - as long as you boot from the Windows PE in UEFI mode first to do the restoration

<a href="http://www.fifautc.co.uk/">Fifa 15 coins</a>

• Hi ...

Please follow the instruction is given by: Rootman on OCT  14

it is simply to backup an ISO image of a bootable USB key and restoring it to the similar USB key .... the bakupper software completely igonres the MBR portaion of the USB key!!

• edited December 2014

Try "USB Image Tool"

• edited November 2014

Thanks .... USB Image Tools works alright, but it backs up the whole USB key instead of only the used space. So, backing up on different brand of USB keys creates problem, since "Useable Free Space" is different.  

Does not support "Intelligent Sector Backup" feature

• edited December 2014

Before backing up, you need to reduce  the partition of Pendrive with Aomei Partition Assistant and use "Volume mode" on USB Image Tools

--------Alternative solution---------
    Create Pendrive Iso with "Folder2Iso"
    Write Iso on Pendrive with "Rufus"

-------Alternative 2-------

Try "Novicorp Bootable USB Replicator". Probably, implements Intelligent Backup Sector

Best regards

• Furthermore instances give you much more comfort though traveling. That is for the reason that you are going to not will need to carry your cell phone within your hand or location loosely in your pocket which might lead to discomfort and danger to the cell phone itself. Once you have a mobile phone case you can strap it on your belt or conveniently spot it anywhere inside your bag without having worrying that it can get damaged.

http://www.iphone6casesnfl.com

http://www.nfliphoneplus6cases.com