Home AOMEI Products Support

Query on experience with Partition Backup VS Files Backup

edited October 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

I am trying out backupper 2.0.2 server version (please note that I am not an IT guy - hence trying out in my own layman ways)!

Hence first day I tried multiple scheduled backups using "partition backup" option (with differential + no compression selections) and second day tried multiple scheduled backups using "file backup" option (though the software did prompt a recommendation to use "partition" option as I was backing up whole drive) - this time also with differential + no compression selections - both days for the same drive in which I store my data and I am backing up to an external hard disk.

I have two queries:

1. I found a difference of more than 3gb in the base backup file size for these two options - partition backup base file was 19GB while files backup base file was 15.2GB (the actual drive is 19GB on server when seen in explorer) - hence, my query is why this size difference as in one day my server storage had not changed much?

2. And secondly - i did not have any problem opening explore backup image (unlike many postings i have seen on this forum) - BUT if I explore image of the subsequent differential backup files (the smaller ones created after the main base backup file) - then it is showing me all files - which is also not bad - but then how do I know which files have changed since previous differential backup version? As I am talking about about 3000 folders/subfolder with 17-18k files - hence only a differential listing would be good / preferable.

Request advise - or whether I am missing some step.

Comments

• ADDITIONAL UPDATE to my query:

I am now currently trying out the "Files Backup" option across multiple days - and notice one more puzzling thing - the Differential Backup Version file size (as expected) keeps increasing with each version saved - however, next day monring when I come and re-start the server as well as the backup program, then the 1st differential backup version saved on this day is smaller in size than the last version saved on previous day - logically to me it appears that for the differential backup option - the backup files size should keep increasing only - and not reduce at any stage (till offcourse I start afresh with a fresh full backup as a base file).

Please respond on-priority - the only added piece of information (which may or may not be related to my observation) is that we currently switch on the server at start of our working day and close it at the end of the working day - everyday.

I am looking forward to some tech person's response to my post above as well as this one - as we are seriously considering to buy one at the end of the 30-day trial period - because it allows for 2 server machines and we are a small setup.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Moderator,

I was almost inclined to accept your suggestion for my 2nd post as a possible reason - however, just then almost same time yesterday my backups folder shows me differential backup file size at 11am as 59MB, then at 2pm as 67MB - but then SURPRISINGLY at 5pm as 64MB - so am again unsure! (the server was not switched on-off during the day).

Also, I am adding one more piece of information which may/maynot be relevant - the server has currently 2012 r2 (9600 build) installed.

Hope you/anybody could help me - with the three queries in my two posts.

regards,

• 1 Partitin Backup need backup up file system and files. File Backup only backup files.

2 It show all files because Incremental and Differential Backup are not indenpendent and rely on the Full Backup.They can not be listed alone.

3 "differential backup not reduce at any stage" not true. Backupper check the files against Full Backup and create image file.There is no indication image file will keep growing.

• Thanks a lot ADMIN - coming from you that gives a lot of confidence. Also, I think it seals our purchase decision too for good!

regards,

• edited October 2014

If you get any questions while using our product, welcome to contact us [email protected].

• "Ahsay software" i am basically using this software from long time and have certain great results from this software so if anyone there facing the problem from backup and restoring can just have a look at the website. i am leaving a link below this comment just have a look at the software.http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index.jsp?pageContentKey=ahsay_products_overview