Home AOMEI Products Support

Information Code:4162

edited September 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

I get an error Single file is too big - Information Code:4162 while trying to restore. Please note that I am using NTFS (both original and new destination for restore) on a Win7 PC, HDD formatted as NTFS.

Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Atanas

P.S. Using AOMEI Backupper Standard (free)

Comments

• Please provide us with more information, such as snapshots of the error message, the task(file backup and restore?). More information will help us solve your issue more quickly.

• We have checked the error message in the screenhots. And we also need all the log files from the folder where you install Aomei Backuper. Please package the log files and send to us. Thank you.

• Hello admin. Attached you'll find my logs. Thank you.

imagelogs.zip

• I will forward your issue to our dev team. Once there is any progress,I will inform you immediately.

• Is it OK that our dev team remotely connect to your computer and examine the issue. Our time zone is GMT+8. And we are available from 9:00 to 18:00(GMT +8).

• <<SOME SOLUTIONS FOUND (Windows 7)>>

"Information code:4162
    Single file is too big. The target file system does not support, please change other location and try again. (because FAT12 supports single file up to 32MB, FAT16 and FAT32 support up to 4GB, maybe this cause error. So we suggest you restore to NTFS, EXFAT or other file system that support much bigger single file
    .)"

SOLUTION 1: This is indeed the issue. Transfer all files to another drive and reformat the backup drive to NTFS/EXFAT. Then move all the files back.
    SOLUTION 2: If your drive is already formatted NTFS and you are getting this error, first completely update the computer via Windows Update. If it says there are no new updates, restart the computer and check again if there are any new ones available. There is one specific update which prepares the operating system for MBR and GPT* format systems. Without this update, AOMEI Backupper will not recognize a GPT formatted drive and assume it is FAT(##).

SOLUTION 3: Transfer all files to another drive and reformat the storage to EXFAT, then move the files back and attempt the restore again.

SOLUTION 4: Reformat the Windows installation and fully update it again via Windows Update. Remember to restart the computer after each update batch until everything is downloaded and installed. Might just be a bad reformat.

*: GPT is a newer formatting system which is used for storage over 2TB. MBR is for anything under 2TB, and has been used essentially since the beginning of PCs.

I had the same problem,and I looked on Google for the answer and found this forum post which provided an unsatisfactory answer of "let our DEV team fix it for you". The DEV team should be providing the answer on the forum post for others to find so they don't waste time trying to fix it repeatedly for many users. If solutions to the error code have been posted somewhere on the website, it is apparently not very easy to find. There should be a page full of error codes and possible solutions to them.

And one last thing, I do not understand why AOMEI Backupper does not continue restoring other files after running into a single error. It should simply skip the file and notify the user about which files failed to be restored. I left the program to restore overnight and found out it failed on one file 10 minutes into the process. For the rest of the 12 hours my computer was doing nothing.