Home AOMEI Products Support

After Restoring C: (OS Win 8.1) with Backupper my Boot time is slow-help!

edited August 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi Folks,

I was extremely happy when after having problems with my laptop that I successfully Restored my C: partition from an Aomei Backupper Full Disk Backup I'd made onto an External HD. I performed the Restore from the Windows environment (not Rescue CD) and Restored the C: only (not a System Restore). I did not want to Restore the Full Disk Backup because I did not want to have to seperately backup my D: where my Libraries are stored.

The Restore is working fine however my Boot time has become very slow. This is the time from when I press the Start button on my laptop to when the Welcome window appears on the screen. The Windows boot is also a little slower but I could live with that.

Does anyone know why the Boot time has become slower? Is there a way to fix it? Should I have done a complete system restore instead of just restoring the C: drive?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks Melbee

Comments

• Is your system running an SSD?  If so, be sure when you restore an image that you tell it to align for SSD.  Also, did you change file system types, i.e. convert to NTFS, FAT32, etc?  I'd look into those things (partition alignment and file system) as they seem most likely culprits.  Also, if this is on an old fashioned, mechanical hard drive try defragging the drive.

• No my system is not running a SSD it is a 1Terabite HDD. I did not convert file system type. I did a straight Restore from C: Backup to C: on Laptop. I did a Defrag of C: but my laptop is still slow to Boot up. Any other ideas?

• Windows automatically optimizes boot time and commonly used application startup with a feature called Windows Prefetch.  It's possible that moving from one drive to another has invalidated the cached prefetch files.  You can clear those out of c:\windows\prefetch.  Note that this will cause Windows to begin recreating this cache, so there will be time between you clearing the cache and it having a noticeable effect on the speed of loading. 

There can be numerous other issues.  If the backup was taken a while back, then there could be Windows updates that need to be reinstalled, or perhaps a driver update.  Are there any other symptoms or information you can provide that might shed more light on this?

Oh, and on another side note, you can restore partitions only with the bootable media.