Home AOMEI Products Support

Computer went to sleep during backup!

edited June 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

During a manual full data backup of about 60GB to an 3TB usb3 external hard disk, my Windows 8.1 (64 bit) machine went to sleep. Shouldn't the program keep the computer from falling asleep?

Comments

• Hello mrq2,

We are sorry for that, currently our
    software cannot keep the computer from falling asleep, so you may have
    to awake the computer and keep it is powered on during the period of
    doing the unattended backup. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience, we
    will keep making effort improve this program, you will see more
    optimizations in the future.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Hi,  Has this issue been resolved yet please?  It is pretty critical that the machine be prevented from going to sleep if in the middle of a backup.  

Thanks

Paul    

• In situations like this where a PC must stay awake to perform a task, I simply change the power settings to ensure it doesn't nod off. In Win 7 for example, I change mine to "High Performance" which does the trick. Power setting options can be found as part of the screensaver options. 

Dave

• I have Win 8.1 also. Have you changed the power settings to never sleep. I do that and then change it back to what I want after I finish the back up.

• True.  Problem is I want to give it to my granny to do her computer backup and make things as easy as possible for her.  I guess I will use Macrium Reflect instead as that prevents sleep automatically.  I will have to live with full backups only in the free version of reflect.

• Pauljs,

Windows 7 and 8 (possibly Vista as well, but for sure 7 and later) have a feature that allows you to override power settings.

powercfg /? at the command prompt will help with this.

Example:  POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS process.exe Display System

Be sure to include the full name of the executable and wrap in "quotation marks" if the process name has a space in it.  Be sure to include display and system at the end of the request to prevent the system from sleeping/blacking out the monitor during the software run.  This will ensure that the system doesn't go to sleep when Backupper or any other program you choose to designate this way is running.

• Take a look at the free program "Don't Sleep". It's a very small portable program. I start it before I start my Backups and then exit when finished. Easy to use and works like a charm.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep