Home AOMEI Products Support

Uninitialized component or function cell

Hi.

I have a new PC with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 installed and all updates applied.  It is installed on an SSD.  I have Backupper 2.0 Standard installed.

I successfully created a System Backup on the HDD, creating a total of three .adi files using the inbult split function for DVDs.  I also created a WinPE based recovery  boot CD.

I was able to successfully do a system restore by booting with the CD and using the files on the HDD.

I copied the three .adi files to DVDs using the Windows inbuilt burner program.

I tried to boot from CD and do a system restore from DVD.  After booting the PC, I replaced the CD with DVD 1 and set the file path to the DVD.  Backupper requested the last DVD of the set which I placed in the DVD drive.  Backupper then reported the error message "Uninitialized component or function cell".

Thinking the DVD may be corrupt, I copied the three .adi files from the DVDs to the HDD, created MD5 checksums for the original and copied files on the HDD, and found that the checksums of the copied files matched the original files, indicating no errors on the DVDs.

I then tried to boot from the CD and do a system restore using the files copied back from the DVDs and this was successful.

It is clear that the boot CD is OK, and that the backup DVDs are OK.

Thinking that the problem might have occurred because I removed the boot CD, I created a WinPE based recovery USB drive.  This was also unsuccessful.  It reported the same error message "Uninitialized component or function cell".

Why is it that the attempt to restore from the DVDs failed ?

What could I do differently that might work ?

Comments

• A bit more information on the DVD problem.

Today I decided to try a system backup direct to DVD.  As before, I am using the burning software that is provided with Windows 8.1.

The backup to DVD was successful.  I tried to check the image on the DVDs, placed the first DVD in the drive, then the last DVD when requested, and got the same error message: "Uninitialized component or function cell".  I then copied the files from the DVDs to the HDD.  When I checked the image files on the HDD, Backupper reported the image to be OK.

It would seem from the above information that Backupper is unable to read an image from DVDs, and therefore is unable to restore an image from DVDs.

• Sorry for the inconvenience. Our testers are going to test this in our test room.

• I have a similar problem. New computer, win8.1 64-bit home edition. HDD, CD/DVD-R. Made winPE-based rescue disk, works OK. Made a full system backup--"successfully" said the app. But Utility/Check Image function says "Uninitialized component or function cell" and will not open file. Next, launched Backupper via rescue cd and attempt to check image fails again: "Unable to get backup information because the image file can not be accessed or has been damaged."

During the past six months, have your testers found a solution for this problem? Backup is useless if it cannot retrieve files. Please advise.

• Hi Vlad,

Both under Windows and WinPE, you checked the image, it prompts error? 

Please post us the log files, you can find them in the installation directory of Backupper.

• imagelog11.txt

imagelog12.txt

imagelog14.txt

imagelog18.txt

YoungCheng, thank you for your reply.

I submit a selection of logs to you. I do not remember which session included WinPE visit, but all sessions contain an occurance of the cited failure. Log 11 includes a successful system backup (my 2nd attempt) as well. Backup File name is "System Backup(2).ADI."

I hope this is helpful and look forward to a solution.

FYI I had no problems making a Bootable CD (UEFI Boot Mode w/WinPE). (This session log is not included in attachments.)

FWIW, I note my backup(2) file (log11?) does not appear in the task window when I open Backupper. My first prior (failed) attempt to backup did show up, I believe. Backup(2) appeared at some point, but not both (1) and (2) together as a list. Since then the window is blank until I load the DVD and point to the file. The backup file posts in the window and thereafter the cited failure occurs. Maybe some residual info file (on my C/:) is corrupted.

• Vlad,

Sorry that this is a bug, we will lay emphasis on this problem. Once there are any progresses, I will inform you. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• I experience this serious bug with AOMEI Backupper Standard 3.0 and 3.2. AOMEI makes wonderful backups but if I burn them as single-session DVDs and try to restore them I get the highly frustrating error "Uninitialized component or function cell" soon after inserting the last DVD. And I see this error was reported years ago. I can reproduce this error at any time as it doesn't actually overwrite my C drive.

What log files do you want to see? Any from folders under X:\Windows\System32\LogFiles ? I note that X:\Windows\Logs\CBS is empty. (X is your bootable CD once booted.) The AOMEI image files are perfect when checked and I have no problems with the LG burner in my PC.

I've copied the AOMEI backup files to another disk partition and am about to experiment restoring from there. Please don't consider this as a workaround that excuses you from investigating this error ... there are those who rely on their backups burned to DVD.

• edited February 2016

I am experiencing the same problem restoring from a DVD that the other users described earlier.  Any update yet? I am using standard version 3.2  My error is Uninitialized component for function cell.

• The only way is that you need to copy all the image to one folder and then do the restore.