Home AOMEI Products Support

Backup file size

Hi !

I have a little problem with my backup. Actually, I did an incremental backup. Then I have merged the base image and the incremental one (this quite a mess to know how to deal with these two. It looks like easier to manage just one image). Now, I have an image of 2.6T (this is normal) but when I would like to restore, there is a problem of size:

As you can see, there is a big difference between the backup size and the data which can be restored. Furthermore, the backup image is compressed (which make the difference bigger). I have tried to explore the image and there is some file missing. 

Can someone help me ? I have a lot a file (as you can see) and without the backup there is a lot a file lost forever (this is quite ironic...). Thank you in advance for your help :)

Comments

• edited July 2017

Then I have merged the base image and the incremental one (this quite a mess to know how to deal with these two

I have no idea what you mean or what you did. You just have to restore (or explore) the incremental backup image. Aomei takes care of the "merging" of the full and all the incremental backups in the chain. Do not mess with those files otherwise Aomei can't restore anymore.

A full backup of 270 GB used space normally does not consume more than 270 GB, rather less. An incremental backup, with not to many changes, is much, much smaller.

• I have followed the documentation: http://www.backup-utility.com/features/merge-images.html

In the documentation, they said it simplifies the restoration. 

• edited July 2017

OK, this seems to be a new option in the paid (Pro) version of Aomei 4.0. I use the free version of 3.5 where this is not available. I don't see any reason or benefits to use this merge option. You can restore or explore with just the full and all of the incremental backups in the chain, being present. Just point to the latest incremental and Aomei merges the images on the fly when restoring or exploring. (In my experience without delay and without extra space consumption).

It may be a good idea to make a new full backup once in a while, starting a new chain that way.

• Ok, so I assume my data are lost (in part)... This is quite sad. Well, I suppose it's better than nothing.

But I don't really understand why I can't restore all the data :/