Home AOMEI Products Support

Blue screen on booting from WinPE UEFI media

Greetings,

I'm trying to make a bootable media by Backupper 4.0.4 and so far WinPE in legacy mode works fine on Legacy boot PCs but bootable media made for UEFI does not. The media itself is recognized by the PC as boot option, activity LED starts to flash, then the screen is filled with blue (not BSOD but desktop-like sky-blue) then after a minute of doing nothing PC switches its power off.

For the media I have tried 2 different thumb drives and one external USB hard drive. It was tested on 2 PCs (HP folio and surface pro 3) - the result is always the same. To check the hardware just in case I used Clonezilla (UEFI enabled) and it boots and works in any combination of the above. The Backupper is installed and the media is created under Windows 7 pro in case it matters.

Any help in resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

One more question - is it possible to make WinPE media which boots both on legacy and UEFI PCs like clonezilla does?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Backupper is installed and the media is created under Windows 7 pro in case it matters.

Windows 7? Is that a very rare working UEFI machine?

Can you make the bootable media on an UEFI machine with Win8 or Win10?  In my opinion UEFI was never meant for Windows 7. I never succeeded in installing Windows 7 on my UEFI machine since UEFI uses a different graphic driver not supported by Windows 7.

• > Windows 7? Is that a very rare working UEFI machine?

Win7 I work on is on legacy boot PC. There are several other PCs both legacy and UEFI that I want to backup though. (hence the question about clonezilla-like dual-booting)

> UEFI uses a different graphic driver not supported by Windows 7.

Meaning when I make WinPE media on legacy boot PC Backupper puts in there "legacy" graphics driver too even though I choose "UEFI (recommented)" option, is that it? Will try to install and run it from UEFI machine tomorrow.

• Well, I installed backupper on surface pro 3 (win10), made a UEFI and legacy bootable WinPE media and now both work. So why backupper would not make a workable UEFI media under Win7? Is this a bug or a feature? Any way to fix it?

• AOMEI PE Builder supports UEFI and Legacy dual-booting.

Please disable Secure Boot to see if it works.

• > AOMEI PE Builder supports UEFI and Legacy dual-booting.

Unfortunately not if run on Win7, it does not. The same sky-blue freeze on UEFI PC and as an added bonus real BSOD saying application error on legacy boot PC. Tried it from 8.1 and I get another treat - 8.1 other than english are not supported (mine is japanese).

So now Backupper can make me (on UEFI win8.1) a media that either boots on UEFI PC (and fails with "disk read error" on legacy) or boots on legacy (while freezing or not recognized at all, on UEFI). Do I have to go ask tech support directly to get it resolved? Not that it is completely unusable, just kind of lame to need 2 flash drives where one could have 1.

• I think you are using AOMEI Backupper to create the dual-booting WinPE? This is not supported, please use AOMEI PE Builder on a 64 bit Windows 7 system to create the dual-booting WinPE.

• This is the link of AOMEI PE Builder: http://www.aomeitech.com/pe-builder.html