Home AOMEI Products Support

clone failed. two system reserved partitions, etc

New purchase
Professional
Problem: I tried to clone 238 SSD to 1T SSD
Followed instructions and the first time partitioning didn't work, and
the new 1T drive had the same amount of space as the old one.
So I re-did the clone and now there are two system reserved partitions,
and a partition equal in size to the original disk being cloned, with the majority of the new 1T drive unallocated.

How to start over? What to do next? If I format the drive, will that remove the extra
partitions?
It seemed so easy. Not sure how it got so messed up

Thanks
John Clarke

Comments

• edited April 2017

Start a command prompt (cmd.exe) and use the diskpart utility to clean the new SSD.

This erases the total disk so it can be partioned from scratch.

Diskpart  (Type diskpart in de command box window and hit Enter)

>list disk

> select disk #   (# being the number of the 1TB disk that you see in list disk)

> clean  

> exit

exit

Now clone again. notice the edit partition option, you can increase the C: to maximum.

Check the SSD option too.

• Thank you for the reply. I think I did pretty much the same thing.I used aomei partition manager and deleted all partitions, then initialized with diskmgmt.msc

Now I am in the process of trying the clone process again.

BUT ... my program does not show the choice to edit partitions on the destination disk, as it looks in your image.

I have a paid professional program, but I don't get that choice. Maybe something is wrong with my software!

Again, much appreciated.

Further advice?
    Jack

• Yes, as I feared. My clone of smaller SSD to larger SSD, left a big unallocated space. I am obviously missing that important "edit partitions on the destination disk" choice. This is my third try. Should I re-download and reinstall the program?

Frustrated.

I appreciate the advice.

Jack

• I used the free Backupper program.

Question: is your source an MBR or GPT disk? Don't know if that has anything to do with missing options.

• I am sure it is MBR. I am going to re-download and reinstall the professional program I bought, I was not aware that the free version supported cloning, which is why I paid the $50! sounds like that may have been a bad decision.

• edited April 2017

Did you do a system clone? I did a disk clone. That probably explains the missing option.

The system clone is blocked in the free version, but can be made available at request.

Edit: that was so in the older versions. In the 4.0 versions system clone is blocked. But disk clone is still free and includes the system too.

In the 4.0.3 Linux bootable cd system clone seems to be still free. Works on Windows disks too afaik.

• Johnny,

I am an idiot! I was using system clone, thinking that meant "the whole system". In the old days, unix systems etc, you could do a files backup or a system backup, which included the OS.

So, my mistake

I did the disk clone and it worked beautifully!

Thanks for your input. Sorry for being irritable. Been a long weekend

Jack

• Jack,

Glad it worked out. And no not irritable. We both learned a lot.

I just tested the System Clone with the Free Linux CD on a Windows 10 machine and it worked. Yes the edit partition option was missing, don't know why Aomei chose to do that, but after the clone I was able to expand the C: drive with the unallocated space using Windows disk management. 

So in total, the same result as a disk clone, with edit partitions before the clone starts.