Home AOMEI Products Support

questions about clone process

I want to clone smaller to larger SSD. I presume the program will run from my current boot drive, the smaller one. So will the program be able to clone the drive it is running from to the new drive? I presume I will then disconnect the original boot drive and the new larger drive will boot as disk 0? Will I have to rename the new boot drive in diskmgmt.msc?

Thanks for any advice.

Oh yes, I will read the instructions as well!

Jack

Comments

• edited April 2017

Normally it has to go as you described and boot from the cloned disk. Since the new disk is bigger/larger you can edit the partitions on the clone, make them bigger, before the clone process starts. No rename needed. Just swap the disk.

If you are talking about a desktop, I would disconnect the original and connect the new disk on the same sata connector as the original. Probably the first one.

• edited April 2017

Thanks for clarification. I was just haveing a problem with visualizing how the cloning program is running from the hard drive being cloned. I guess they figured a way to do it.

I will give it a try.

And thanks again.

Jack

• You can clone (or backup) from within the running OS or from bootable media, WinPE or Linux CD/DVD. When done from running OS there is indeed a special technique used. See Menu->Settings->Tab VSS