Home AOMEI Products Support

System backup wants to backup two drives

I just came to make a backup of my C: drive and Backupper wants to include another drive. I noticed the other drive has bootmgr and Bootnxt files on there, but I have no idea how they got there. There are no other system files on this drive. How do I stop Backupper from wanting to include this drive in a system backup?

Comments

• edited March 2017

Bootmgr is essential for a system backup, it starts the OS.

You can however do a partition backup of C: but that won't boot by it self when restored.

I don't know if you dare to try this and I have no idea if it will work:

Make a system backup of your two drives just in case everything fails.

Make a WinPE bootable medium with AOMEI.

Copy those two files to the root of C:\ and rename the current ones on D:\ or whatever.

Now your system won't boot anymore. 

Then insert your Windows DVD and start it.

Choose repair and try if that works.

If not, you may rename the files back. You may need the Aomei bootable medium to rename (Utilities Command prompt) or restore the backup.

• The system boots fine from C:, all the system files are intact, so need to copy files anywhere. The system won't let me change or delete the files on the other drive and I've no intentions of trying to back up 800gb. :) As it happens I have a copy of the 800gb drive. I'll boot from a linux USB stick and see if deleting those two files does the trick.

• Well, that was a failure. I deleted the boot files on J: and Windows would no longer boot. I managed to get it booting again by doing a repair with a Windows CD, but the boot files are on J: again instead of C:. I suspect this might be something to do with dual booting with Linux last year, so that's where I need to be looking

• Is it the system reserved partition?

• Sorted! Somehow the boot files been placed on J: and that drive had been changed to the boot drive in the BIOS, although Windows is on C:. I have no idea how it happened, but I ought to have checked the BIOS sooner and saved myself a lot of trouble. I used a Linux live CD to delete the boot files and changed the boot order in the BIOS and all is OK again. It's a custom build so no reserved partition. Thanks!