Home AOMEI Products Support

Linux USB Restore does not correctly restore MBR/BCD

edited March 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

Situation: Larest Aomei Backupper (4.0.2). Installed on Windows 7 Embedded, non UEFI. Same version of Backupper installed on my laptop - Windows 10, latest version completely up to date.

Symptoms: Create online backup with Aomei on Windows 7. Store image on either network share or directly on USB (I have tried both). Now try restoring image using bootable USB drive with the Linux version.

Image restores OK, but when PC boots, there is a cryptic error "winload.exe is missing or corrupt". After a lot of searching, it appears that this message is misleading. Take a look here .

It seems that thje Linux version does not correctly restore the MBR or BCD.

Solution: create a Windows PE bootable USB stick on my laptop (the Win7 PC does not have all the files to be able to do this). This works.

I think if you are going to have two versions of the bootable restore capability, they should both work.

Comments

• edited March 2017

Sorry for the problem you encountered. What is the size of your system backup image? If it is not so large, please share it to us, we need the test it. Thanks for your feedback.

• Sorry - the backup is 40GB. It's a bit too big to share.