Home AOMEI Products Support

System Backup

edited December 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Sorry if this has been covered, but would like to know this:

Let's assume that my hard drive went out and I purchased a new hard drive > installed it and then take the System backup I have on my external drive and restore it to the new hard drive.

Can this be done?

Comments

• Yes, that is of course the goal of a system backup. You need bootable media created with Aomei to restore your system backup.

• Thanks JohnnyboyGo for the rapid response and when doing a bootable media by Aomei, I assume I'll put this on a dvd?

• When creating the bootable disk, the Process went to 98% and ejected the dvd. I then after five minutes, clicked on the X to go back to the main menu and nothing happened. Had to CTRL > ALT > DEL to bring up the Task Manger to end the process.

Any idea what may have gone wrong?

• Try making the ISO first and then burn it to DVD with your own burning program.

You can also make the Linux CD, it too has the capability to restore Windows system.

• No go and even tried the Linux with the same results.

Could it be that I installed the AOMEI Backupper Standard for Win7 - chose the smaller installation package size that's causing the problem?

• @aRMY83  You tried to create the ISO and burn to the DVD, but it also failed? What is the error message you get? Actually, you can try to create the winpe in another computer.Please try.

• edited December 2016

Being a "newbie" at understanding the creating of a ISO or winpe file. My definition would be to create a System Repair Disc, which I did and I'm sure this is not what you are referring to when speaking of a ISO/winpe files.

Having said, I've decided to stay with the AOMEI Backupper Standard for Win7 (short version) for backup only and if and when I cross that bridge of losing my hard drive, I'll just install a new one and load the pre-installed Windows 7 Pro disk that came with this PC and then do a System Image restore I created from the Backup and Restore feature that came with Windows 7.

Just to note, the computer I have is a home base PC and not used for anything else, so doing it this way is not an inconvience for myself.

• You have the system backup now, if the system cannot boot, you can do the restore to get the disk back. But when you do the restore, because the system is not bootable so you need to create the winpe bootale media of AOMEI Backupper. You said that when you do create the DVD, it is stuck at 98%, it is because that there is a samll prohblem of the software to burn the ISO to the DVD, so it stops at 98%. Now you can try to just create the ISO and then use another burning tool to burn the ISO to the DVD. And then you can have a bootable DVD to boot into the AOMEI Backupper WINPE to do the restore.

• You mentioned above, "a samll problem of the software to burn the ISO to the DVD", is this something that will be updated in your software? If so, I'll just wait until that problem has been resolved and then download the AOMEI Backupper Standard for Win7.

• edited December 2016

Aomei does not burn to DVD, Windows does. Aomei only creates the ISO and then calls the Windows burning software. If you have the same problem with burning WinPE AND Linux there is not a problem in generating the ISO but in burning the ISO. So a problem with your Windows implementation or with your DVD equipment or your disks. So try to download a free DVD burning program and try that.

• edited December 2016

Sorry for the lateness as I just got back from a road trip. Anyways... finally have everything up and running now.

The following steps is what I did and it works for me:

1. Downloaded the Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7 ( KB3AIK_EN aka the ISO )

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753 

2. Double clicked on the KB3AIK_EN and wrote it to a DVD-RW disk.

3. After KB3AIK_EN wrote to the DVD-RW, I then clicked on KB3AIK_EN > Windows AIK Setup ( Windows Install AIK ) and followed the instructions from there.

4. Loaded AOMEI Backupper Standard > Utilities > Create Bootable Media ( already inserted a blank DVD-RW disk in tray ) and selected Windows PE and the bootable media was created.

Did a restart of my PC with bootable media disk in the DVD tray, waited a few moments and the AOMEI Backupper Standard window appeared.

• Modified this:

3. After KB3AIK_EN wrote to the DVD-RW, I then clicked on KB3AIK_EN > Windows AIK Setup ( Windows Install AIK ) and followed the instructions from there.

To read:

3. After KB3AIK_EN wrote to the DVD-RW, I then clicked on StartCD > Windows AIK Setup ( Windows Install AIK ) and followed the instructions from there.

• Thanks for your support.