Home AOMEI Products Support

What option for backup?

Guidence wanted: Which option is needed to restore a formatted hard drive to its original condition? As I understand it on the first hand a bootable medium (on USB stick e.g.) and on the second, some type of backup. But which one of all options Aomei Backupper offers? Or has it to be some kind of clone? 

/hans peter

Comments

• edited November 2016

A. make a System backup or a Disk backup on external media. Can be done from a running OS or from bootable media with Aomeis WinPE.

B. Take care that the new HDD has the same partion style formatting (MBR or GPT) as the original.

C. Restore using Aomeis WinPE (or the Linux CD) to the new HDD.

There is also a cloning option but it has to be unlocked first in the installed version. But in the bootable media cloning seems to be unlocked already.

• Thank you, JohnnyboyGo. One further question. System backup OR Disk backup. What´s the difference?

/hans peter

• It may be the same. But if you have another partition than C: on you HDD, like D:, then Disk backup backups the D: too. A system backup will only backup C: regardless if you have D: and E: etc.

• Hi again, JonnyboyGo!

This shows my System backup:

This shows my Disk backup. Disk 1 is my backupdisk.

Is the System backup enough for me?

/hans peter

• As far as I can see there is only 1 letter assigned partition, C:, so there are no user data on other partitions. System Backup should be sufficient for restoring the OS.

I don't know what is in the other partitions. To be sure you could make a disk backup. I can't see if that will be much larger or not.